How to Create the Most Delicious Homemade Apple Butter Recipe
Apple butter, even though it’s known the most well known of all sweet desserts and spreads, it is definitely one of the most delicious. Apple butter is quite rare and mostly a thing of older times, however, it is still the core of what makes apple-based desserts so satisfying. Think of apple pie and that flavor combination you get from it, well apple butter is somewhat the same, but in my honest opinion even better!
For all my fellow vegans, this is the perfect recipe for you, why? Well for many reasons but the main one being that this recipe is sweet and plant-based and can act as a combiner when baking desserts such as cakes and pies. I’m going to be showing you exactly how to create this apple butter recipe from your very own kitchen in a simple, easy, and efficient way.
Ingredients in Apple Butter
Before we move to the variety of recipes I have to offer you, let’s look a little deeper into what apple butter is and what ingredients are used when creating the humble treat. A typical apple butter homemade recipe consists of apples, water, vinegar, sugar or sugary substitute, spices, and lemons. Apple butter is a great way to use up fruits that are close to their expiration date as the cooking process actually preserves them for a much longer period of time. Apple butter is made by using a very slow cooking process to pure the apples and then a caramelized taste is added by using sugar and spices to blend everything together in order to form a butter-like paste that is smooth and delicious and acts almost like a jam, most commonly served on toast or crumpets.
Vegan Apple Butter Recipe
Now we can head into the fun part, which is this quick and easy apple butter recipe. For this recipe, you won’t need any prior kitchen experience or any fancy equipment, just some time and concentration to follow these exact steps.
To create your homemade apple butter recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2.5 kg fresh apples (Granny Smith are the best);
- ½ cup granulated white sugar;
- ½ cup brown sugar;
- 2 cups water;
- Pinch of salt;
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves;
- Juice of 1 lemon;
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar;
- 1 ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon.
Once you have gathered all the necessary ingredients, you can move on to follow these instructions to make your own apple butter:
- Cut and peel the apples into quarter size pieces and remove any damaged parts
- In a large pot add your water, apple cider vinegar, and chopped apples over high heat and bring to a boil, once simmering reduce the heat and allow cooking for about 20 minutes, once the apples are soft to remove from heat.
- Put our apple mixture into a collider or sieve and gently press down until all the pulp parts remain at the top.
- Take your apple pulp and add it to a bowl with sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, and cloves, stir and allow sugar to dissolve.
- In a large pot add your combined apple mixture, place on medium heat and allow cooking for about 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat once a smooth and thick consistency is reached.
- Grab a jar of choice and transfer apple butter to the desired jar ready to be sealed for later use.
And just as easy and as simple as that, you have successfully created the best apple butter recipe. You can now enjoy your sweet treat on a slice of toast or sweet bun and possibly share some with friends and family, that is only if you don’t finish the whole jar yourself.
A Simple Apple Butter Recipe
While this organic apple butter recipe is the OG and guaranteed to provide you with the perfect apple butter, there are also many other recipes out there that can help fit into your preferences. For example, if you own an instant pot, then this instant pot apple butter recipe is for you. The steps are extremely simple and just require you to add all ingredients beginning with the apple to your instant pot and allow cooking for about 30 minutes or until soft and brown in color. This is a quicker and more efficient way of creating apple butter, and a great option if you’re planning on selling your product.
Another popular apple butter recipe includes an apple butter recipe with no sugar, this is for all those health freaks who are trying to cut down n the sugar, especially during breakfast time but are still desiring a sweet and oh so delicious treat.
Don’t hesitate because there’s a recipe for you too. All you’ll have to do is either simply replace the sugar with an alternative such as stevia or xylitol or simply illuminate the sugar altogether, this won’t change the outcome of the recipe, it will be less sweet but naturally sweet enough from the sugars contained within the apples themselves.
So is apple butter vegan? Well, it most definitely is, and not only is it plant-based and cruelty-free but also absolutely delicious, easy to make, and extremely cost-effective.
This apple butter recipe is a hidden gem that not a lot of people actually know about, however, it is a great homemade alternative to jam or preserves and lasts for a couple of weeks in the fridge.
As well as it is the perfect toast topper it is also great in many desserts including pastry, cakes, and tarts, and might I add that kids and grandparents love it to bits. So the next time you’ve got some extra apple leftover, don’t throw them away, make this homemade apple butter recipe.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?