Carrot Cake Recipe
2 and ½ cups
1 and ½ cups
apple cider vinegar
3 and ¾ cups
1 and ¼ cups
Who doesn’t love a moist, delicious, and flavorful slice of carrot cake? Especially with the month of Easter fast approaching carrot cake has got to be a staple in everyone’s household. There is simply no need to go shopping for a bland old store-bought carrot cake as ill be sharing how to make vegan carrot cake from your very own kitchen, with no special equipment or culinary skills needed you can easily make your very own carrot cake recipe! While carrot cake may not be everyone’s cup of tea, for those who love and know it, there is nothing that can trump the flavor profiles of a perfect vegan carrot cake, warm spices with a combination of chewy, crunchy, and soft together with a sweet, rich cream cheese frosting, one bite and straight to heaven you go, and here’s exactly how to make this vegan carrot cake recipe from scratch.
Best Carrot Cake Recipe for Vegans
While there are many variations of the humble carrot, there are some tried and tested basic vegan carrot cake recipes that trump the whole lot. The basic carrot cake ingredients needed to make most to all carrot cake recipes include flour, eggs, sugar, carrot, baking powder, nuts, oil, applesauce, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar and cream for the cream cheese frosting. However, for these ultimate carrot cake recipes, we are going to verify the whole lot so everyone and anyone can enjoy the satisfaction of the glorious carrot cake.
Easy Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe
So how do you make carrot cake? To make this vegan and easy carrot cake recipe from scratch one needs to first gather all the ingredients needed to create the best moist carrot cake recipe.
Ingredients for the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 and ½ cups grated carrots
- 1 and ½ cups brown sugar
- 2 flax eggs ( mix 2 tablespoon flax meal with 6 tablespoons water )
- ½ vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
For the Butter Cream
- 3 and ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice ( optional )
Now to assemble your simple vegan carrot cake recipe you’ll need to:
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Line the cake tins with parchment paper or non-stick baking spray.
- In a bowl add your flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and combine together.
- To this bowl add your grated carrot along with your brown sugar.
- Add oil, vanilla, and apple-cider vinegar to your mixing bowl and combine all ingredients until no lumps can be seen.
- To your mixture add your flax eggs and mix all the ingredients until everything is well combined and a smooth batter is formed.
- To your smooth batter add your chopped walnuts and give it a stir.
- Divide your mixture into your two cake tins and place in the oven for around 30 minutes.
- Once ready remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Directions for the Frosting
While your cakes are cooling you can now begin to prepare the frosting for your homemade carrot cake recipe for vegans.
- Add your powder sugar, vegan butter, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar to a mixing bowl and combine using an eclectic beater.
- Start mixing at a low speed and slowly work your way up.
- If you find your mixture is too dry and thick simply add a dash of water at a time until you are happy with the consistency of your frosting.
- Once your cakes are properly cooled place one of them on a board of choice and layer the top with your frosting.
- Place your second cake on top of the frosted base and repeat the process covering the top with frosting.
- Optional: cover the sides with frosting as well.
- Sprinkle some crushed walnuts over the top.
And just like that, you have yourself the most delicious vegan carrot cake with brown sugar, walnuts, and spices, this easy recipe is so simple that creating it at home is simple enough and the taste is one hundred percent worth the efforts, I guarantee your whole family will be begging for the recipe.
Best Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe Ever
While I have given you the ultimate basic vegan carrot cake recipe, there are many variations of this delicious baked good that has heads turning all around the world. Some people love a carrot cake in its simplest form whilst others enjoy a nutless version filled with dried fruits such as raisins and dates and others even enjoy fresh fruit additions such as pineapple and orange. So to make sure everyone is satisfied with their vegetarian carrot cake recipe here are a few adaptations you can make to ensure you find the best and most perfect homemade carrot cake recipe for vegans.
Carrot Cake Recipe With Pineapple
To make a tangy and sweet version of a classic carrot cake you’ll need to simply add these extra ingredients to your cake mixture.
- 1 cup raisins/sultanas ( the golden version work best)
- 1 cup pineapple ( chopped finely )
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk of your choice ( to ensure your cake is not dry )
- 1 and ¼ cups chopped pecans
Carrot Cake Recipe Without Nuts
If you’re looking for an equally as delicious carrot cake recipe but don’t want the addition of nuts due to allergies or any other reasons you may have, don’t worry I’ve got you covered with the best version of a nut-free carrot cake ever. Basically, to make your cake nut-free you simply omit the nuts present within the recipe, this will not change the texture or consistency of your cake and the same base flavors will still be present, however, the addition of raisins and/or applesauce is a great way to elevate your classic vegan carrot cake recipe.
Vegan Carrot Cake Tips and Tricks
Whilst creating your very own carrot cake from scratch is pretty simple, sometimes things may not always go to plan in the kitchen and that is why I have compiled a list of the best tips and tricks for ensuring that your carrot cake tastes and looks the best it possibly can.
- Want to make it gluten-free? It’s easy, simply substitute your flour with the exact same amount of any gluten-free flour of your choice, this includes oat flour, almond flour, coconut flour, and even rice flour, the flavor should stay the same and no allergies come in the processes.
- Using a combination of white and brown sugar created the best flavor and sweetness profile in a carrot cake giving it a deeper and richer more homely taste and flavor.
- If you don’t want to waste the time making a flax egg before combining all your ingredients together, simply throw in the 2 tablespoons of flax meal along with your 6 tablespoons of water into your mixture and the same result will be had.
- Getting the right spices in your carrot cake is one of the most important and essential parts of its distinctive taste. Make sure you’re using warm spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves, and that they are as fresh as you can possibly get them, for achieving the ultimate depth of flavor and craving satisfaction.
- Salt! whatever you do, do not forget your salt, in this overly sweet recipe even the tiniest pinch of salt can help balance out the flavors and make a massive difference to the flavor and texture of the end result of your carrot cake.
- Oil! Oil is an essential ingredient in creating the ultimate vegan carrot cake, however, it may be overwhelming to choose which oil to use and there is such a vast array available. Oil is important for achieving moistness in your cake and that is why using avocado oil is a great option as it reacts super well in baking recipes. Other oils such as coconut oil ( melted ), canola oil, vegetable oil, and sunflower oil are also great oil options to use when baking.
- One great trick that helps with the spreading of the frosting is to use a spatula instead of a knife, in this way you are able to spread more frosting at a time as well as have a more ven all round spread without pulling out pieces of the cake while you do so.
- Grating the carrots – to get the right amount of carrots for your recipe it usually equates to around three large carrots. Make sure these carrots are bought whole and fresh and not the package grated ones you may find in your supermarket. This is because we want the natural moisture from the carrots to make our cake soft and full of flavor. Make sure to peel and cut the tips of your carrots before grating. The grating can either be done by hand or by simply using the food processor to grind it into the perfect consistency.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?