EASY HUMMUS RECIPE
HOW TO MAKE HUMMUS
To achieve the best hummus recipe result the process should be simple, easy, and quick by using the rights ingredients in the perfect amounts you will be able to master the perfect hummus recipe all from the comfort of your own kitchen. Hummus is a traditional Middle Eastern dish originating in ancient Egypt. It is made from chickpeas as the base and is often used as a dip or spread accompanied by warm bread. This homemade hummus recipe is one of the top-rated hummus recipes and doesn’t require any fancy kitchen equipment or professional cooking standards. It is an easy hummus recipe that is authentic and packed full of incredibly simple plant-based and natural ingredients.
SIMPLE HUMMUS RECIPE
To make this easy homemade hummus the first thing one must do is to gather all the ingredients needed in order to create the best hummus recipe possible.
- 1 can of chickpeas ( about 250 grams cooked )
- ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice or the juice of one whole lemon
- ¼ cup tahini ( which is a middle eastern sesame paste )
- 1 garlic clove minced well
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp ground cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 30 to 45ml of water
Now that you have gathered all your fresh ingredients to create this quick hummus recipe we can move on to the directions and how to incorporate all your ingredients together to form the perfect tasting hummus.
- The first step is to get out your food processor or blender of some sort. In the bowl of your food processor add your tahini along with your lemon juice and blend together for approximately 1 minute. You may need to scrape the sides of the bowl and then blend for n additional 30 seconds in order to make sure the tahini becomes a creamy and whipped like consistency.
- Next, you are going to add your extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and salt to your whipped tahini mixture. Then blend all your ingredients for 30 seconds then mix with a spoon and blend for an additional 30 seconds until the perfect, well-combined mixture is formed.
- Next, you’ll need your canned chickpeas, open the can, and drain the water and then give your chickpeas a nice rinse to get rid of any excess fluid. Add half your can of chickpeas into your already formed mixture and blend for approximately 1 minute. Scarpe any excess mixture off the sides, add your remaining chickpeas and blend again for 1.5 to 2 minutes until a very creamy and smooth consistency is reached.
- You may find that your hummus seems too thick and there are unblended chickpeas but don’t worry it’s a simple fix, just add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water and blend again until the desired texture is achieved.
- Remove from the bowl and place in any container of your choice *note that hummus should be kept in the fridge.
And just like that, you have a basic and great hummus recipe that is creamy and delicious and a perfect meal accompaniment for the whole family to enjoy.
ADDITIONS TO YOUR QUICK HUMMUS RECIPE
Now that you have created your basic hummus recipe, there are many ways to take your good hummus recipe and make it even better and per preference. There is a multitude of extra additions one can add to this hummus recipe to achieve different flavors and textures perfect for hitting the spot.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Roasted red peppers and hummus are like a match made in heaven, you’ve got the salty and garlicky hummus combined with the slighted sweet red bell peppers which just bursts with flavor when it hits your mouth. To achieve this you’ll just need to add 2 whole red bell peppers to your basic hummus recipe. The trick in creating this recipe is all in the roasting of the peppers. You need to prepare your oven by turning the broiler on, then remove the core and seeds from your pepper and cut into large and flat like pieces, place them on a baking sheet and into the oven to broil for around 8-10 minutes. Remove the charred skin of the pepper and add the remainder of your roasted peppers to your hummus mixture and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
Most hummus recipes are created differently by adding flavors as toppings to your end result some of these include
- A drizzle of olive oil and additional roasted chickpeas
- Fresh herbs such as ground parsley, rosemary, or dill
- Toasted sesame seeds enhance the tahini flavor
- Fresh chopped green onions and a sprinkle of paprika
- A spicy hot sauce of your choice for an extra kick
- Lemon juice and toasted pine nuts
- Caramelized onions and roasted chickpeas
- Sun-dried tomatoes chopped finely
You can also choose to load up your hummus with an abundance of roasted vegetables such as eggplant, corn, zucchini, and red bell peppers. The addition of olives and roasted tomatoes with extra chickpeas and olive oil is also a great addition that completely elevated your dish to the main centerpiece of your meal. Edamame beans, artichokes, fresh chopped parsley, and vegan feta cheese is also a great combination that ticks all the flavor profiles.
As you can see this hummus recipe is so quick and easy and allows you the freedom to top with whatever your heart desires!