Everything You Need To Know in Order To Create the Best Vegan Tomato Soup From Scratch
Tomato soup is one of the oldest and most classic of dishes, it is simple and light but absolutely packed full of flavor. Tomato soup makes for a delicious lunch and is eaten in countries all around the world especially as winter starts to come into play. For all the plant-based eaters out there, you get to enjoy all the wonders of the famous tomato soup too, with the simple creation of these vegan tomato soup recipes. I’ll be showing you exactly how to create your very own vegan tomato soup recipe from scratch with no complicated ingredients and no prior culinary skills required. This way you will be able to enjoy your soup without missing out on any of the traditional flavors.
Is Tomato Soup Vegan?
I’m sure most of you are thinking “what could possibly make tomato soup non-vegan?”, well you would be surprised to know that many tomato soups are actually comprised of dairy-based products such as cream and milk, which are of course, not suitable for vegans. These types of products are what you would expect to find in canned or packaged tomato soup, that is why making your tomato soup vegan at home is the best way to ensure it is completely plant-based. Tomato soup has been around for centuries and has been a staple meal in many households since the evolution of food began. Creating tomato soup is a great way of using leftover produce and herbs and is extremely cost-effective.
How To Make a Tomato Soup Recipe Vegan
Now that we understand a little bit more about what tomato soup is and where it comes from let’s dive into how we can make it. There are many varieties of different tomato soup recipes, most are traditional and have traveled down through the decades and others have elevated the classic dish and added components in order to allow a deeper flavor profile. At the end of the day, the tomato soup recipe you choose is completely up to you and your preferences. For this tomato soup vegan recipe you’ll need :
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion – finely chopped
- 800g canned tomatoes
- 240ml water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- 70ml coconut milk
The ingredients for this recipe can be found at almost any local grocery store and are extremely low-cost ingredients.
Now that you have gathered all your ingredients you can start to assemble your organic tomato soup recipe.
- Heat olive oil in a pan (make sure it is deep and large) on medium-low heat, once the oil is hot add your finely chopped onions and allow cooking for about 7 minutes or until soft and golden.
- To your browned onions add your entire can of chopped tomatoes as well as your 240ml of water and gently smash with a wooden spoon. Once your tomatoes are mashed and are of soft consistency add your herbs and spices, dried oregano, paprika, dried basil, and salt to your mixture, stir and allow boiling.
- Let your mixture simmer for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once your mixture has been bow to a boil, turn off the heat and allow resting for 5 minutes before proceeding.
- Once it has cooled off add your coconut milk and stir well until everything is smooth and combined.
- Serve in a bowl of your choice and enjoy with fresh bread or buttered rolls.
And just as quick and as easy as that you have yourself a delicious vegan creamy tomato basil soup that makes sure to satisfy all the cravings and give your belly that extra warmth it needs. Your veg tomato soup recipe can be enjoyed with warm bread, grilled cheese, or simply on its own.
Vegan Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
While some enjoy their tomato soup recipes simple and mainly tomato-focused others enjoy the traditional and delectable combination of tomato and basil that can be found in the core of almost all Italian cuisine. To make your tomato basil soup vegan, simply follow this recipe for a rich and deep flavored tomato soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1133g fresh rosa tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegan cream ( optional )
This recipe uses fresh ingredients in order to achieve raw and authentic flavors that can transport you back in time.
- In a large pan heat oil and add onions and garlic to allow to saute and brown.
- To this mixture add your tomatoes, basil leaves, dried oregano, vegetable broth, and salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup mixture to a boil and cover with a lid to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the soup is done, turn off the heat and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes. Depending on the equipment you have available either transfer your soup to a blender or use an immersion blender to blend your mixture until a smooth and creamy-like consistency is reached.
- Top with vegan cream and serve!
There you have it, the most delicious vegan tomato basil soup that is packed with flavor, fresh ingredients, and powerful atoms ready to be enjoyed by the whole family.
As you can see making vegan tomato soup from scratch is not as hard as it may appear and you will be happy to know that not a lot can actually go wrong with either of these recipes, you can also adapt the spices and the amount of those spices to better suit the flavor profile you are after. Tomato soup is a tried and tested recipe that is almost always good and as it’s so easy to make there’s no excuse for not making this warming treat. Tomato soup is also great because it can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days and can be frozen and reheated to eat at a later point, so no wastage whatsoever.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?