Cauliflower As Rice – A Healthier Choice! What Is Cauliflower Rice and How to Cook It
When it comes to finding new and alternate ways of using humble and simple vegetables, 2021 is the year that these inventions have taken a new and exciting term. Especially as the summer months are amongst us or slowly approaching we all want to focus on getting a little bit healthier too. To replace the numerous carbohydrates typically found in rice, cauliflower as rice is a great delicious and nutritious alternative that embodies the same use and texture and rice itself, making it a great base for any main meal. In this article, I am not only going to be showing you exactly how to cook cauliflower rice but also how to incorporate it into your diet.
What Is Cauliflower Rice?
So this great, ideal, and healthy replacement for rice, what actually is it? This rice is simply made just from cauliflower alone, in a sense it is a grain-free, vegan, and low-carb alternative to rice. Rice made from cauliflower is a great substitute for anyone trying to lose weight, eat healthier, eat a fully whole foods-based diet, or even is a raw vegan. Chefs and health food enthusiasts have been all over it since its 21st-century discovery and have created an abundance of different recipes using the product as the inspiration and base for easy and healthy meals. So all in all this rice is basically just a cauliflower that has been blended into tiny pieces, resembling the same size and texture as grains of rice.
The Best Way To Cook Cauliflower Rice
Preparing, cooking, and using cauliflower rice is actually a fairly simple and easy task that may just seem a little more complex than what it really is. Making cauliflower rice requires little to no prior kitchen experience, a minimum amount of cooking equipment, and a positive and enthusiastic mindset. To make your very own homemade cauliflower rice all you’ll simply need is:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes;
- Cook Time: 5 minutes;
- Servings: 4.
The first and of course the most important part of making a simple alternative to rice is to gather and ensure you have all the necessary ingredients at hand (this is also the easiest part of the process, so don’t mess up here.)
- 1 cauliflower head
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley ( optional )
- Salt and Pepper to taste
The next step in creating a basic cauliflower rice recipe is to begin the prepping and cooking processes.
- Prepare the cauliflower: since cauliflower is the highlight of the show when it comes to making it into a rice alternative, it should be treated with the utmost care and respect. So firstly you’ll need to cut off the stem and outer leaves and then break it down into smaller-sized pieces.
- Once all the chopping is done you need to through your cut pieces into a food processor and pulses about 10 ties until tiny pieces of cauliflower are visible. It is important that it is not over blended as this will just turn into a pure and will not hold while cooking. Once you’re blending is complete transfer the “rice” mixture into a large bowl.
Cooking Cauliflower Rice
The next step of your cauliflower rice-making process is to cook the cauliflower. So how long to cook cauliflower rice? Unlike traditional kind, cauliflower cooks a whole lot quicker and can be ready to eat within 5 minutes of hitting the pan.
- Firstly you’ll need to heat your olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Next, add your cauliflower and allow it to cook, stirring it halfway until it is just slightly golden.
- Lastly, add your chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste, and boom you have your very own cauliflower rice.
How To Use Cauliflower Rice
Once your cauliflower rice has been prepared and cooked the hardest part of making your dish is over, and it wasn’t even that hard, right? The truth is there are so many different ways that one can use it, whether you would like to directly substitute your rice or simply eat it as your vegetable of choice, the variety and options are endless. Some of the ways to make cauliflower rice include :
- Fried rice: fried rice is a delicious Chinese dish that is loved all your the world and is usually comprised of a big bowl of rice together with onions, peas, sweet corn, and various other vegetables to make a delicious and wholesome meal. The same type of thing can be done with your homemade cauliflower rice, by simply caramelizing some onions and adding your vegetables of choice during the cooking process, with a hint of soy sauce you wouldn’t even know the difference.
- Another one of the best ways to use riced cauliflower is purely and simply as a rice substitute. Think about your starch of choice when it comes to enjoying a delicious curry, or protein and veg, usually it’s plain old rice. Instead of this, you’ll just need to use your already prepared and cooked rice alternative as your base, which goes absolutely deliciously with the combination of tofu, Thai green curry, and even a vegetable masala for a richer meal.
Cauliflower is an amazing ingredient that can virtually take on any flavor you add due to the simplicity of the ingredient itself. Adding things such as herbs, spice, and sources to your rice is a great way to elevate it into a whole new product that highlights its tasty nature. Some other ideas for your kind of rice include :
- Stuffed bell peppers
- Buddha bowls
- Mexican inspired “spicy rice”
Is Cauliflower Rice Healthy?
So after spending so much time and effort developing and making your cauliflower rice recipe, is it actually healthy? The answer to that is yes, it’s actually one of the healthiest things you can eat, it is a whole food, a vegetable, and a plant-based, low carbohydrate ingredient. So not only have you now learned the easiest way to make rice but also have a large directory of different fun and exciting but also nutritious recipes that your rice recipe will come in handy for. At the end of the day, it’s up to you if you want to give this delicious rice a shot but I can almost guarantee you that you won’t be disappointed with the flavor and simplicity you experience, and it’s a great way to trick your brain into eating healthier too.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?