Everything You Need To Know About How To Make Your Very Own DIY Tofu at Home
For both vegans and vegetarians and anyone in the plant-based community, tofu has become a staple part of the diet as it provides a huge amount of protein and acts as a meat replacement where its ability to absorb almost any flavor is truly loved by all my fellow veggies. Nowadays tofu can be bought at almost any grocery store and is available on many popular restaurant menus, but what if you want it on demand? Lucky for you, all your tofu cravings can be met at the comfort of your own home by simply how to make tofu from scratch. These DIY tofu recipes are fairly simple and easy to follow but promise an outcome of the most delicious and fresh tofu that you can prepare with any meal.
What Is Homemade Bean Curd?
We’ve all heard of tofu, seen tofu, and possibly eaten tofu, but do we really know what tofu is, where it comes from, and how it’s made? Tofu, otherwise known as bean curd comes from soy. The process of making the tofu comes when the soy milk is curdled and pressed into a solid block and then cooled, the liquid is then removed from the mixture, and a cohesive solid block known as tofu is formed. Tofu has been around for many many years and is a staple ingredient in both Thai and Chinese cuisine, who have created the best homemade tofu recipe. Tofu also has many nutritional benefits including its high amount of protein and all nine essential amino acids. This is very valuable for plant-based eaters as it provides them with very important sources of iron and calcium.
How To Make Homemade Tofu
So how do you make tofu? To make tofu at home may sound a little complicated but I can assure you the process is not as hard as it may seem. There are a few different ways one can make tofu, all depending on the resources available. This is one of the best and most tender tofu recipes I have come across and it also produces a consistent, delicious, and firm holding tofu.
How To Make Tofu From Soybeans:
- 3 cups soybeans
- 5l water (for blending)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 extra cup of water
These are all the ingredients you need to start preparing your very own homemade tofu.
- The first step in creating this fresh tofu recipe is to wash the soybeans and soak them in water overnight, so you can begin the creation process first thing the next day. Once they have been soaked, they will appear to be much softer and are then ready to be blended.
- Transfer your soybeans into a blender and add water and blend. Usually, this process takes around two or three batches as the number of soybeans usually overpowers the capacity of the blender.
- Once all your soybeans have been blended, get a bowl and a strainer, you want to pour your mixture through the strainer and into the bowl, capturing all the pulp.
- Discard the pulp and transfer your now smooth soy milk into a pot and bring to a boil. Leave the mixture to simmer for around 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then remove from heat and allow to cool for 3 minutes.
- While your mixture is cooling whisk together your 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar with one cup f water and slowly stir in using a small spoon. This part of the process is extremely important and must be done carefully, you will start to witness the mixture beginning to firm up and the liquid at the surface becomes clear.
- Transfer the mixture into a container of your choice and press down with any weighted appliance for 15 – 30 minutes depending on your desired firmness.
And just like that, you have your very own homemade tofu that you can now use in any of your lunch, dinner, or even breakfast recipes!
How To Make Fresh Tofu
So we’ve already learned one way of how to prepare tofu at home but what about the other ones? The base of all tofu recipes are the same, however, some ingredients and additions differ from recipe to recipe, and if you don’t want to take as much time as the soybeans recipe then this recipe may just be the one for you.
How To Make Tofu From Soy Milk
- 1 carton soy milk
- Juice from 1 lemon
Yes, you’ve got it right it literally only requires two ingredients that most people probably already have at home.
- Pour soy milk into a pot and bring to a boil.
- While this is boiling juice your lemon and remove any excess pulp or seeds.
- Once the milk has reached boiling temperature, we are ready to begin the curdling process, this is done by simply adding your lemon juice to your milk, stir well and allow to set.
- Once curdled your tofu should have a separated appearance with a layer of clear liquid at the top.
- Remove from heat and pour the mixture into a bowl lined with a cloth.
- Discard the excess water and begin to squeeze the tofu with your cloth draining any excess water.
- Wrap the tofu in a cloth and lay a weighted object on top of it.
- After a few hours have passed you can remove the object and your homemade silken tofu is done and ready to be used.
For firmer tofu wash with iced water and allow to sit in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving. Last but not least create your favorite tofu-based recipes and enjoy with family, friends, and loved ones.
And just like that, you have learned how to gather your tofu ingredients and create your very own tofu from scratch. Homemade tofu is different from any storebought kind as the freshness and flavor are unmatched, it is also extremely cost-effective and many batches can be made to share with the whole family from grandmas to uncles, aunts, and even distant cousins.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?