How to Make Vegan Apple Crumble
Apple crumble is a dessert that dates bad to many many years ago and has been around since most of us can even remember. It is a lighter dessert that encompasses the bold flavors of apples along with rich spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg and traditionally served with either a vanilla cream or ice cream. It is usually covered by a decadent butterfly crumb and is a traditional german staple. Just like any other dessert an apple crumble can be made vegan as there are so many vegan apple crumble recipes out there today and I’m going to be showing you exactly how to make your very own simple vegan apple crumble from your kitchen.
Vegan Apple Crumble Recipe
A traditional oat apple crumble is made up of two parts, the warm apple filling and the crumble topping. There are in fact over 7000 different types of apples around the world and when apple season hits, the first and the best thing to do is to gather all your ingredients and get in the kitchen to bake a vegan crumble. This vegan crumbles recipe is extremely easy to follow, simple, ready in just 40 minutes, and packed full over hearty and warming flavor.
Ingredients for the filling
- 2 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, and finely chopped)
- 2 Honey Crisp apples (peeled, cored, and finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
For the topping
- 115g hazelnuts finely chopped
- 120g flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter (melted)
- Step one in making the perfect vegan fruit crumble is to simply preheat your oven to 180C before beginning the assembling process.
- In a large bowl mix together your sliced apples, cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger as set aside into a baking dish of your choice.
- In another bowl combine your hazelnuts, flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and melted butter and combine well.
- Distribute this mixture neatly over your apple mixture that you previously set aside in your desired baking dish.
- Place the apple crumble into the oven and allow to bake for 35-40 minutes until the apples are cooked through and golden brown color is present of the crumb topping.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool properly before serving.
And just like that your very own apple crumble is done, this recipe can be made gluten-free by simply substituting the flour or almond flour and the selection of apples can easily be changed according to what is available to you.
Tips for Making Your Apple Crumble Vegan
While this is one of the many vegan crumbles recipes it’s one of the best because of how easy it is to make and how simple the ingredients are, however, there are many other ways to make a great vegan apple oat crumble too. Here are some extremely helpful tips and tricks to making the perfect vegan apple crumble for you.
- The dairy free crumble topping- Traditionally the crumble topping is made using a rich butter which other than flavor allows the crumb to merge together and hold its form, to make a no butter crumble topping you can use oil along with rolled oats and flour with a hint of sugar and spices to create the same texture and rich flavors of your traditional apple crumble.
- Serve your vegan apple crumble with either a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream or a plant-based cream to cut through the richness.
- Vegan apple crumble is the perfect dessert to serve on a fall day as it brings in the perfect combination of the hearty fall flavor and the satisfactory warmth we all crave over the autumn period.
- You can also make your vegan apple crumble a little more healthy by substituting the sugar for a sugar-free alternative such as stevia or xylitol.
- Your vegan apple crumble can either be baked in one large tray or you can distribute your mixture into smaller ramekins to serve as individual desserts.
As you can see making your own vegan apple crumble is much easier than it seems and it is truly a dessert that satisfies all the cravings as the seasons begin to get colder. Don’t be scared to play around with your mixture, add some chocolate chips or dried fruit, less or more spices until you find the ultimate combination that ticks all your boxes. Apple crumble is also a great way to make use of any extra fruits you may have lying around and can easily be shared with friends and family.
- Why did you like the article?!
- Ooh, you did not like it? But why?