Pressing Tofu — Is It Worth It? How to Do it at Home? Complete Manual
Tofu is one of the most used vegan alternatives to meat. It is loved for its meat-like texture and ability to adapt to almost any flavor you apply to it, It is also high in protein and iron. The thing about tofu is that although it can be really tasty it can also be really bland and this is all down to how it’s prepared and cooked. Pressing tofu is the best way to ensure that you get the best cook on it, making it crunchy yet soft and able to absorb the max amount of flavor possible without retaining too much water. I am going to be showing you exactly how you can do the same thing but from your very own kitchen so that you can get the best tofu experience too.
Why Press Tofu?
Do you need to press tofu? While pressing tofu is not a necessity and not the only technique used when cooking the product, it is however one that is highly effective in achieving the best result. Pressing tofu is actually a technique that is used to remove the majority of the moisture to make it easier to cook with.
This is done because, in some recipes, the tofu is too wet and thus will eventually crumble when being cooked. Packaged tofu especially contains a large amount of water which definitely isn’t the best when you’re trying to create a crispy exterior, and thus the humble tofu press was invented.
What Is a Tofu Press?
A tofu press is essentially a gadget that is used to remove the excess liquid from the tofu so you don’t have to. It is the best way to press tofu as well as the quickest and gives the best result when cooking. Being vegan means that tofu is probably an essential part of your diet and something you find consuming multiple times a week. So why not make it taste the best it possibly can? While there are other methods of pressing tofu, most of which require your hands, a lot of time, and the need to clean up after, a tofu press is pretty much an easy solution to all these problems. Getting rid of the water also makes space for the tofu to absorb even more of the flavor you choose to add to it, which means more delicious and flavors results.
The Best Way To Press Tofu
Wanna know how to press tofu fast? Get yourself one of the many available tofu presses in the market today. Using a tofu press is easy and efficient, and I’m going to explain just how to do it.
- Unwrap your tofu from its packaging.
- Rinse the block of tofu under cold water.
- Place the tofu in the bottom of the container of the tofu press.
- Place the lid with the coil on top.
- Press down and the liquid will begin to fall into the separate part at the bottom of the container.
- Remove the lid and place your now extra firm tofu on a surface of your choice.
- Cook and enjoy any recipe you like!
How To Press Tofu Without a Press
If investing in a tofu press isn’t the move for you, then don’t worry, there are still other methods you can use to achieve similar results. Wondering how long do you press tofu without a tofu press gadget? Well, unfortunately, it’s not the same two-minute process, and it will consume about 30 minutes of your time in order to ensure that it is ready for cooking. To press tofu, you’ll need to:
- Get yourself a 400g block of tofu of your choice.
- Wrap your block of tofu in a tea towel and place it on a large plate.
- Next, you will need to place a heavy item on top of your tofu, this could be something such as a frying pan or cans and jars.
- Leave the heavy items on top of your tofu for around 30 minutes.
- Remove the items, unwrap your tofu and transfer to another plate of choice, by now it should be about two-thirds of its original size and have lost approximately 100ml of water.
- Your tofu is now firmer and ready for easier and more flavors cooking experience.
Pressing tofu by hand may not be the easiest or quickest method, but it is a method that can be done at any place and at any time with no extra equipment required.
The Bottom Line
As you can see, pressing tofu comes with numerous benefits that will not only help your tofu to cook better, but also make it taste better too. There are so many amazing and delicious tofu recipes out there that you can create using either tofu press by the by-hand method.
The bottom line is that tofu doesn’t have to be plain, bland, and boring and can actually be elevated to new levels, flavors, and combinations.
So the next time you are in the kitchen ready to whip up a delicious high protein tofu-based dinner, why not try the tofu press method first and see the difference in the result for yourself.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?