SZECHUAN STIR FRY RECIPE
SPICY VEGGIE STIR FRY
Szechuan is a traditional Chinese cuisine type that comes from the province of Sichuan. It is very bold and flavorful and packs a real punch in the spice department. The use of chili pepper and garlic are strong in Szechuan cuisine and vegetables are often included in almost all of their dishes. So if you’re craving something hearty and spicy this Szechuan vegetable recipe will definitely tick all the boxes and do the trick. This recipe is also simple and easy and can be easily adapted to your spice level tolerance while still being able to achieve all the goodness and bold flavors of the Szechuan sauce.
SZECHUAN MIXED VEGETABLES STIR FRY RECIPE
The key in creating the perfect Szechuan stir fry recipe is all the quality and ingredients of the sauce. To begin your cooking process you should start by gathering all the necessary ingredients which include
For the Szechuan sauce
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon Chinese blended spices
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
Simply whisk all these ingredients together until combined and store your sauce in the refrigerator for later use.
For the stir fry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 block tofu or meat substitute of your choice
- 1 onion diced finely
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- Your Szechuan sauce
- Topping of your choice such as sesame seeds, crispy onions, fresh herbs, green onions
Now all that’s left to do is combine and create your perfect Szechuan stir fry!
- Heat your oil in a large pan.
- Add your tofu and brown on both sides and set aside to add later on.
- Add an additional tablespoon of olive oil to your pan and sauté the onion together with your bell pepper, toss occasionally, and cook for around 4 minutes until slightly golden.
- Add your garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add your tofu and toss until all is combined.
- Turn to low heat and add your pre-made Szechuan sauce.
- Toss your vegetables in your sauce until all is evenly coated.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
And just like that you have created your very own delicious and homemade Szechuan stir fry, the only step left is to serve and enjoy!
To serve your stir fry there are a variety of options which include
- Serving over rice
- Serving over egg noodles
- Sprinkled with crispy onions
- Topped with fresh herbs
- Additional chill flakes for extra spice
- Topped with fresh herbs and toasted sesame seeds
As you can see the spicy Szechuan stir fry recipe is simple and easy to follow, it’s a delicious and healthy combination of fiber, protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats perfect for a weeknight dinner treat. This recipe can also be adjusted exactly to your preferences and can be made gluten-free and of course, uses plant-based and natural vegan ingredients.