Full List of Best Plant-Based Milks
I have been plant-based for four years now and haven’t looked back once. In the beginning, this lifestyle can be hard to navigate, but the more research you do and the more time you spend with it, you will realize that this way of living is quite abundant. For me, one of the easiest parts of making the switch was giving up dairy. Dairy is already food that irritates many people’s bodies. I mean, it is no surprise that when we, the human species, consume milk from a cow, we do not react to it in the most pleasant way. Human milk is for humans, and animal milk is for animals, it really doesn’t get much more complicated than this. When it comes time to stop drinking milk from our mothers, rather than transitioning to another animal’s milk, why not transition to milks from plants? The world of milk substitutes is an exciting one. Keep reading to find out even more benefits that plant-based milk has to offer.
Why Plant-Based Milk?
So why choose plant milks over dairy milks? There are many reasons, moral and health related which we will discuss. When dealing with moral reasons we can focus on:
- Factory Farming
- Factory farming is an ever growing industry which cares more about the corporation’s success than the lives of their animals. Factory farms choose to thrive under capitalism rather than care for the lives they are benefiting from. Factory farming within the dairy industry is a non-consensual experience for the dairy cows. Mothers are artificially inseminated, to then give birth to their child that is immediately taken away from them. This act is done repeatedly until the mother cow can no longer provide milk as she will either become burnt out or suffer from mastitis. There is much more depth to this reason, however this is a good enough reason for me to choose plant-based milks over dairy milks.
- Environmental Impact
- Factory farming’s practices are not only inhumane to the animals, but inhumane to the environment. During the rumination process, cows produce an abundance of methane gas. Methane gas is a greenhouse gas that is a leading cause for Global Warming. If we were to decrease the need for the overproduction of cows, the environment would experience drastic positive changes.
And when dealing with health related reasons we can focus on:
- High In Protein
- Everyone is always worried that people who lead plant-based lifestyles won’t receive enough protein. Well lucky for you, plant-based milks are high in protein and other great nutrients. Fortified plant milk will provide your body with everything it needs to be healthy and happy.
- Kinder To Our Bodies
- If you are someone who suffers from the consumption of dairy, now is your time to make the switch and try out some of the best plant-based milk options. Why make yourself suffer through the consequences of dairy consumption when there are so many plant-based milk brands which will solve all of your problems? Make the switch today!
These are only a few reasons which explain the benefits of plant-based milk vs cow milk. Continue on this journey to explore some of the best plant milk on the market.
Top 5 Plant-Based Milks
There are many different types of plant-based milk, but today we will focus on my personal top 5 picks. I will not only share with you the best tasting plant-based milk, but the healthiest plant based-milk as well! I hope you are as excited as I am.
- Oat Milk
The first milk in my top 5 list is oat milk. Now, oat milk serves many purposes within the everyday diet, however I love using it in my smoothies and coffee. Oat milk can sometimes have a sweeter taste which is actually why I like it so much. I also love oat milk because it is super easy to make this milk in the comfort of your own home. It’s actually very easy to milk plants! My favorite brand of Oat Milk has to be Oatly. Both of these brands provide a creamy and delicious product that will make you question why you ever drank cow’s milk in the first place!
- Soy Milk
Next up on the list is soy milk. Now, soy milk is controversial to some as there is a large population of people who try to avoid the consumption of soy products for various reasons. I however, am not one of these people. I think soy milk is delicious and I actually drink it quite often. If you love oatmeal as much as I do, you have to try cooking your oats in soy milk. This combination will leave you with the most rich and creamy bowl of oats you have ever tried. I also enjoy baking and cooking with soy milk as I find that it is more neutral in taste, perhaps the most similar to dairy milk. My favorite brand of soy milk has to be Silk.
- Cashew Milk
Cashew Milk is next on our list and I feel like it sometimes flies under the radar. Cashew milk is a delicious alternative to cow’s milk and is amazing in smoothies. Cashews on their own are one of my favorite nuts, so it is no surprise that I love cashew milk just as much. This alternative brings a nutty layer of flavor into whatever you use it for. It is a good option if you are looking for a high protein, low calorie option. My favorite brand of cashew milk is definitely Earth’s Own once again.
- Coconut Milk
When dealing with the top 5 plant-based milks, there is no way I could have left coconut milk out of the conversation. I truly believe that coconut milk is one of the most versatile plant-based milks out there. Coconut milk works great in coffee, plays a key role in curry dishes, is great in desserts and also brings your cereal game up several notches. Coconut milk is made from the meat of the coconut and provides the body with essential healthy fats. You are able to purchase this milk in a variety of forms which is cool as well. My all time favorite brand of coconut milk to drink is Pacific Foods. My go-to brand of coconut milk to cook with in curries is.
- Pea Milk
The last plant-based milk we are going to talk about today is pea milk. The best pea milk is the Ripple milk substitute brand. Pea milk is a great option for those with nut allergies. Made from peas, this milk is a great source of plant protein. If you were looking for a milk substitute without calcium, you are out of luck. Ripple milk has 50% more calcium than that of dairy milk. Yes, you read that correctly. Cutting dairy from your diet doesn’t mean you will be missing out on calcium, it could mean you are receiving more. If it were up to me, I would choose a plant-based milk alternative, especially pea milk, over dairy milk any day.
Make The Switch
Before stumbling upon this blog, you may have been wondering to yourself, “What is plant milk?”. Now that you know, I hope you will strongly consider implementing it into your life. A life without dairy is a life that is one step closer to a brighter, happier and healthier future. Even if you are not totally plant-based, even making the swap from dairy milk to plant-based milk will make a difference. The health of our future planet does not need a few people practicing veganism perfectly, rather what it needs is many people practicing veganism imperfectly. It is the year 2021 and there is no better time than now to try out plant-based milks. The idea may seem daunting at first, but I promise you won’t regret it. Hey, if you love the plant-based milks, perhaps you will even consider trying out dairy alternatives for cheeses, ice creams and other products as well. Never say never. There is no way of knowing if you like something until you try it. So seize the moment and try plant-based milk today! For more information about vegan milk substitutes, read our article!
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?