VEGAN AVOCADO SUSHI
WHAT IS AN AVOCADO ROLL?
If you’re unfamiliar with the sushi world then perhaps you don’t know what an avocado sushi roll is. But don’t be ashamed I’ve got you covered, not only to explain to you what exactly it is but also how to make it from scratch right from the comfort of your home. Avocado roll ingredients consist of avocado of course, as well as Japanese sushi rice, nori which is otherwise known as seaweed, sometimes they also consist of cucumber, black sesame seeds, carrots as well as rice wine vinegar and a pinch of salt for the assembling process. Some avocado rolls are made using the typical Japanese sushi formula known as maki, which basically means a roll featuring avocado in the center, followed by a layer of sushi rice and then an external outer layer of nori ( seaweed ).
However there are many versions of this, another popular one being avocado in the center, followed by a thin layer of nori, then rice, and top with a beautifully sliced piece of avocado just to tie it all together. Most avocado rolls are typically vegan and can be found at almost any Japanese sushi restaurant under the vegetarian section, however, I’m going to be showing you exactly how to recreate this using the best avocado sushi roll recipe.
HOW TO MAKE AVOCADO SUSHI?
Sushi is known as an art form in japan as it is done with extreme care and intricate perfection with close attention to details and symmetry. Of course, this may not be present in your initial attempt at making sushi (well at least not mine ), but you know what they say practice makes perfect and there’s definitely no harm in making an abundance of sushi until you get it right. The first step in creating the ultimate vegan avocado sushi is to gather all your ingredients to ensure you are all set and ready to get creating.
- 2 cups sushi rice cooked ( this is available at most grocery stores down the international aisle )
- 1 avocado
- 6 nori sheets ( dry seaweed )
- 1 cup of rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds ( toasted )
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce for dipping
- The addition of thinly chopped cucumbers and carrots can be added for extra variety
Once you have gathered all your ingredients together you have now entered the hardest phase of creating the ultimate vegan sushi roll – the assembling process. This is where things tend to get a little messy and a lot of patience and care has to be taken as ill show you how to slice an avocado for sushi.
- Rinse your sushi rice by running under cold water and mixing it with your hands, this is to prevent it from becoming claggy and sticky during manipulation.
- In a pot add ¾ of a cup of rice wine vinegar along with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water and bring to a boil, add a pinch of salt and stir well. bring the pot to a simmer and stir until all the sugar particles are entirely dissolved and then remove from the heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Place your rice along with 2 ½ cups of water in a large pot and place it on the stove. bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat down to a low temperature, remove from the heat once cooked and add a quarter of your remaining vinegar and stir until combined and then set aside to cool.
- Now all that’s left is to put all your ingredients together, place one sheet of nori on a bamboo rolling matt and wet your hands in the remaining vinegar mixture. With your hands press some of your rice across one side of your nori sheet, then add your desired vegetables on top of your rice, again spreading nice and evenly. Slice your avocado and add that on top of your vegetables and then sprinkle with your toasted sesame seeds.
- Now the rolling process begins, start with the edge of the nori that is closest to you and begin folding towards the center using your bamboo mat. make sure to keep a heavy grip around your filling to ensure your wrap will be tight enough to hold everything together, remove the mat and cut into slices ready to enjoy!