How To Make Vegan Calzone From At Home From Scratch
Calzone, the perfect combination of crispy dough, juicy tomato sauce, and stringy cheese all packed and wrapped up together. With so many different filling varieties it is a crowd favorite. Veganism doesn’t mean you have to avoid delicious goodies such as a warm calzone, you simply just need to adapt the recipe to make it plant-based. Luckily this is relatively easy and making the perfect homemade vegan calzone is not nearly as difficult as it may appear. Whether you choose to have a calzone without cheese, or with an array of different vegan cheeses and veg galore, the choice is up to you, and you’re in for a treat. Here is exactly what you need to know about making the perfect vegan calzone recipe.
How To Make a Vegan Dough for Calzone
Apart from the toppings and the fillings making a calzone as authentic as possible really comes down to the dough. The dough should not be too thick or too thin, it should be soft yet crispy on the outside and be strong enough to hold everything together. Many traditional doughs used to make a calzone aren’t vegan friendly as they contain animal-derived products such as eggs and dairy.
Vegan Calzone Dough Recipe
To make the perfect calzone dough for your recipe you’ll need:
The first step to creating any recipe from scratch is to ensure that you have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go. To make a vegan calzone dough you’ll need:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- ¼ olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons yeast
Once you have gathered all your vegan calzone ingredients, you can move onto the assembling stage by following the instructions below:
- In a small bowl mix together your yeast, sugar, and ½ cup of warm water. Cover and allow to prove for approximately 10 minutes.
- In a separate, larger bowl combine your flour and salt and stir well.
- To this mixture add your oil, remaining water, and yeast mixture and stir until everything is well combined. Once mixed together, knead the dough with your hands until a smooth ball shape is formed.
- Leave in the bowl and cover with a tea towel and set aside to prove and rise for around an hour.
And just like that, you have yourself the perfect vegan calzone dough for the base of your delicious, flavorful calzone recipe. You can also make this a gluten-free vegan calzone by simply replacing the all-purpose flour with any gluten-free alternative of your choice.
Vegan Calzone Filling Recipes
The next step to creating the perfect healthy vegan calzone is about finding the best vegetarian calzone fillings. The fillings are the most important element of any calzone as it is what gives you homemade dough all its flavor. The fillings are also the most fun part to create as there are so many different options you can go for. You can also adapt them based on personal preference, meaning everyone can enjoy their own personal calzone for the best result and satisfaction. To make the perfect vegan calzone filling you’ll need to start off with your ingredients.
Ingredients (Tomato Sauce)
To make the class tomato sauce that will act as the base for your filling you’ll simply need:
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons oregano (dried)
- In a large pot combine all ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat for around 20 minutes or until nearly all the water has evaporated.
- Taste and adjust salt as preferred.
And there you have the perfect tomato sauce recipe for your vegan calzone. To this, you can also add a range of toppings including:
- Sliced olives
- Sliced onions
- Vegan cheese
- Sliced bell peppers
More Vegan Calzone Filling Ideas
The classic tomato sauce and the vegetable option is not the only way you can fill your delicious crispy vegan dough. In fact, there are is a wide variety that you have to choose from which also include:
- Vegan Pesto with sundried tomatoes, basil, and vegan mozzarella cheese.
- Sweet corn and mashed chickpeas with salt pepper and chopped parsley.
- Scrambled tofu, mushrooms, diced bell pepper, garlic, and herbs with a side of homemade tomato sauce.
- Tomato sauce, plant-based ground beef with chopped onions, herbs, and spices
How to Make a Vegan Calzone
Now that you know exactly how to create each element of the perfect vegan calzone recipe, the last step of the process is to combine and cook. For this you’ll need to:
- Dust your surface with flour, remove dough from the bowl and cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece on your flour-dusted surface until the thickness of your choice is reached.
- Add your tomato sauce, or other sauce of sauce and spread evenly.
- Continue by adding all the toppings you wish to one half of the dough.
- Carefully fold the other half over and pinch the sides closed.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Remove and enjoy!
There you have it, the perfect, delicious, nutritious, and ultra-satisfying vegan calzone. This is the perfect recipe to create on special occasions and is great for feeding big families and friends. So the next time you’re craving a calzone why not try this recipe out, experiment with the fillings of your choice, find your favorite, enjoy and share.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?