This Vegetable Chop Suey Recipe Is Simple Yet Delicious – Don’t Miss Out On It
What Is Vegetable Chop Suey?
Today I am going to be teaching you how to make the most simple yet delicious chop suey vegetable dish you will ever lay your hands on. Before diving straight into the recipe, let me take a moment to explain to you what this vegan chop suey recipe is all about. Chop Suey is a Chinese dish that usually consists of meat, eggs, and vegetables all married together with a sauce that is thickened by starch. The vegetables that are most commonly used in this dish are bean sprouts, cabbage, water chestnuts, onions, mushrooms, and celery. Not all of these have to be used, these are just some examples. So what does this dish look like without the presence of meat, fish, or egg? Well, it looks just as good, if not better, and no animals had to be harmed in the making. Now that we know what this dish is all about, let’s head straight into this mixed vegetable chop suey step by step recipe.
Vegan Vegetable Chop Suey Recipe
Vegetable Chop Suey Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole yellow onion, diced
- 3 whole garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock, or water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
How To Make Vegetable Chop Suey:
Now that we know what we need to make this veg chop suey recipe, let me walk you through the cooking process one step at a time.
- Grabbing a large pan, you will heat your olive oil to then add in your onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, celery, cabbage, water chestnuts, and mushrooms. Sautée this mixture up for around 6-10 minutes on medium heat. Once all of your vegetables have softened, add in your bean sprouts and allow this to cook for another 3 minutes or so.
- Whilst you have your chop vegetable mix getting hot in the pan, you can simultaneously be mixing up your sauce. Grab a medium to a small bowl and add in all of your sauce ingredients. These being your vegetable stock, soy sauce, cornstarch, and brown sugar. Whisk all of this together until it is evenly combined.
- Once your sauce is ready and your vegetables have been sautéeing for around 10-13 minutes, pour your sauce mixture into the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir the contents until the sauce is evenly distributed and begins to heat up. This will take anywhere up to 5 minutes.
- You did it, you created this simple yet delicious vegan vegetable chop suey recipe. It is now time to serve your dish up. Keep reading to find out just how to do so.
How to Serve
Now that the main portion of your dish is ready, let’s talk about how to plate this delicious concoction. Most commonly, vegetable chop suey recipes are served over top of a nice serving of hot rice. Another option would be to substitute the rice for rice noodles. Sometimes when I find I have been eating a lot of rice, I like to mix things up. Rice noodles are a great alternative and work really well with saucy dishes such as this one. Whether you choose to serve this over rice or rice noodles, be sure to cook these up while you’re making the chop suey. The goal is to have both of them ready at the same time to make serving more efficient. Once you have poured your vegetable mixture on top of your base, feel free to garnish your dish with freshly chopped green onions or some crushed cashews or peanuts. And there you have it. Everything you need to know about making this delicious vegan chop suey recipe. Remember, choosing vegan means choosing against animal cruelty. This is a meal you can feel good about.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?