The Best Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe: Ingredients and Directions
Cream cheese, we all love it, we all need it, and we all need to know how to make it. Cream cheese has been around for centuries and has become a staple spread in many people’s households. It is usually thick, creamy and soft and the perfect combination with a warm toasted bagel, but what about a cream cheese vegan substitute that we can also enjoy?
Well, lucky for us, we have many options right in front of our noses. There are many brands that have created delicious plant-based cream cheese alternatives, as well as many recipes that result in the same creamy product but with no dairy or animal products at all.
Can Vegans Eat Cream Cheese?
Traditional cream cheese is unfortunately not suitable for vegans. This is because it is typically made using dairy, an animal product that traditionally comes from cows. As they choose to stay away from this and live a cruelty-free lifestyle, it’s something that is not included in their day-to-day diet. However, this does not mean vegans cannot enjoy cream cheese, It will just be a vegan cream cheese recipe instead.
What Is Vegan Cream Cheese Made of?
So how does one make vegan cream cheese taste just like the real thing and achieve the exact same texture and flavor combination we all know and love? To make an accurate representation of regular cream cheese, vegan cream cheese ingredients will traditionally include coconut milk, raw and blended cashew nuts, non dairy yogurt, and flavors of choice such as lemon juice.
How To Make Vegan Cream Cheese
Making your very own homemade vegan cream cheese is the perfect way to ensure you get the exact flavor combination and textures that you enjoy. It may sound a little complicated, but I can assure you that it is relatively simple and easy and requires no chef’s skills or complicated equipment. So if you’re willing to spend a little bit of time getting your hands dirty in the kitchen, then this is the perfect vegan cream cheese recipe for you.
The Best Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe
Vegan cream cheese is actually one of the easiest recipes to recreate at home and while there are countless supermarket brands that now stock the vegan version, there is nothing healthier and tastier than your very own concoction.
Prep Time: 10 minutes;
Just like any recipe, the first step of getting it right is to ensure that you have all your necessary ingredients at hand and ready to go in the amount needed. For this vegan cream cheese recipe, you will need:
- 1 ½ raw cashew nuts (soaked and rinsed);
- ½ cup plain dairy-free yogurt of your choice;
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar;
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice;
- Salt to taste.
Once you have effectively sorted out your ingredients and ensured that they are all measured out in the quantities needed, you can begin the assembling process by following the instructions below.
- Firstly, you will need to ensure you have a blender or food processor at home.
- Next, you will need to put all your ingredients into such a food processor and blend until a creamy and smooth consistency is reached. You should make sure that there are no bits or lumps and that the cashew nuts have fully broken down (you can always add extra water if you are finding this difficult).
- Scare the sides of the food processor and begin the blending process a couple of times, this may take up to ten minutes depending on what equipment you are using.
- Once you are happy with the thickness of the texture of your vegan cream cheese, you can remove it from the food processor and place it into a container of your choice.
- You should store it in the fridge and use it whenever your heart desires!
And just like that, you have successfully created your very own DIY vegan cream cheese recipe that you can now enjoy when and wherever you want. You can also adapt the flavor by adding herbs and spices such as garlic, chives, ground pepper, roasted red peppers, paprika, and mixed herbs.
At The End Of The Day
As you can see, making your own version of vegan cream cheese is a lot easier than it may sound. It is the perfect recipe to recreate when in a rush and the best product for making sandwiches, bagels, toppings crackers, and even for dipping veggies. You simply cannot go wrong with having a tub of delicious and nutritious vegan cream cheese in the fridge. It is also the perfect crowd pleaser and a great way to trick the non-vegans too.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?