VEGAN DAL RECIPE
LENTIL DAHL VEGAN
Dal is a traditional Indian dish that is comprised of lentils, coconut milk, and a variety of spices, creating a flavorful, warming, and satiating curry dish that is simple, quick, and easy to recreate at home. You don’t need any fancy equipment or chef’s knowledge to produce the perfect Indian lentil Dahl recipe and is a suitable portion for the whole family including being vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free. This recipe can also be frozen and reheated for a second-midweek meal. The traditional level of spice in a lentil Dahl recipe is quick mild yet packs a burst of strong flavors that are extra perfect for the colder months of the year.
DAHL RECIPE VEGAN
In order to create this easy vegan dal the first step is to gather your ingredients which include.
- 2 diced onions
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger peeled and sliced
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Garance masala
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Half a lemon juiced
- 1 cup of dried red lentils
- 1 can coconut milk
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
The next step in creating your ultimate vegan dal recipe is to follow the directions below, I guarantee you your whole house will be filled with the delicious aromas of beautiful Indian spices that make your tummy rumble!
In a large pan heat the oil and add your diced onion, ginger, garlic, and chili flakes, and cooked until slightly golden.
- Add your cumin seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric, and garlic masala to your pan and stir in with your cooked onion.
- Add your lentils, canned tomatoes, coconut milk, and vegetable stock, and combine with the rest of the ingredients already in the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes until thickened.
- Add your lemon juice and spinach and cook for an additional 5 minutes until all is combined and soft in texture.
- Remove from the heat and serve with your choice of rice, naan bread, or poppodoms.
And just as easy and as simple as that you’ve got yourself the most perfect, soul-warming Indian-inspired dish. This dish is not only absolutely delicious but also a great healthy meal option filled with lots of protein, fiber, and nutrients you definitely can’t go wrong with this delicacy.
There are also some adaptions you can make to this recipe to ensure it’s just the way you like it, these include.
- The addition of extra vegetables such as finely chopped carrots, celery, and bell peppers.
- Serving with turmeric-infused rice.
- Additional sweet potato for some extra carbohydrates.
- Using vegan butter for a richer and more indulgent Dahl recipe.
- Using an instant pot to cook your Dahl for an easy cooking time, perfect for those with a very busy lifestyle.
- The addition of fresh herbs such as coriander and parsley for a fresher feel.
- Adding extra chili flakes and or chili powder for a spicer alternative.
As you can see there are so many different ways to recreate an Indian dal. I highly recommend you give this recipe a shot and find the perfect combination for you!