Vegan Gravy Recipe
Gravy is essential, a home staple if you will, it is a simply delicious component that goes with almost anything, especially a beautifully cooked roast dinner. In most cases, gravy uses products that either come from beef or chicken to give it that hearty taste however this does not mean that vegans can’t enjoy the pleasure of gravy too. There are so many different ways and types of vegetable gravy recipes out there that are simple and easy to follow but still encounter the same taste we are so familiar with. If you’re looking for the perfect component for your roast dinner, veggies pies or anything you would like to spice up here is some of the best easy vegan gravy recipes that you can make from the comfort of your home.
How to Make Veggie Gravy
A simple vegan gravy is easy to recreate at home and nowadays there are an abundance of different recipes that can be used for different flavor profiles, including vegetable gravy, mushroom gravy, beefy gravy, tomato gravy, and even chicken gravy. Vegan gravy is also suitable for anyone with allergies and a welcoming kid-friendly sauce that is so tasty it can be applied to almost every meal. So if your looking to formalize and spice up your dinners or family get-together here is how to make vegan gravy in a simple and manageable way.
Vegetable Gravy Recipe
For this homemade vegan gravy, all you’ll need is six simple ingredients. In vegan gravy nutritional yeast is often used to recreate a cheesy-like taste as well as enhance the depth of flavor in your gravy.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¾ teaspoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ all-purpose flour
- In a medium pot, place all your ingredients in and start to bring to a boil over the stovetop.
- Place your stove onto medium heat and begin to mix thoroughly for a few minutes until you see the components begin to thicken up.
- Once all ingredients are combined and the perfect thick consistency is reached your gravy is then ready to be served.
- Remove from heat and pour into the bowl of your choice ready for serving with your dinner.
And just as easy as that your very own vegan gravy recipe is done. This particular gravy is perfectly served on top of mashed potatoes as it adds a thick, creamy and cheesy element. This gravy recipe can be stored in the fridge and lasts about a week before going off, it should be reheated before using, and if you find it too thick add a small amount of water should do the job.
Best Vegan Gravy Recipe
If that vegan gravy wasn’t enough here is another that you can create with a completely different flavor profile. This particular veggie gravy recipe is more hearty and thick, resembling something similar to that of beef gravy.
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- To a saucepan add your vegan butter and allow it to melt on low to medium heat. Once it has melted add in your finely chopped onions and garlic and allow to fry until golden brown and soft.
- In a separate bowl mix together your flour with a small amount of coconut milk until a thick paste-like consistency is reached. Once your mixture has turned into a paste add the rest of your coconut milk and whisk well until a smooth consistency is reached and no lumps can be seen.
- Add your flour and coconut milk solution to your saucepan along with your vegetable broth and soy sauce and allow it to thicken.
- Once a thick and creamy consistency is reached add your black pepper and salt and remove them from the heat.
- Your warm and hearty gravy recipe is now done and ready to be served.
This simple and easy vegan gravy recipe is manageable for even the least experienced and proves a delicious result each time. It is perfect to be served with a vegan roast, vegetables, vegan sausages, mashed potatoes, and anything that requires the addition of a rich gravy sauce.
How to Make Vegan Mushroom Gravy
Yes here is yet another vegan gravy recipe easy and simple to make yet oh so delicious. This mushroom gravy recipe has a real depth of flavor and can be enjoyed with literally everything and here is how to make it.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 pack of sliced white mushrooms
- ¼ all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat until hot and sizzling.
- Then add your mushrooms and salt and stir allowing it to simmer until all the liquid is evaporated.
- Add flour and continue cooking stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable broth and stir quickly until your mixture begins to thicken.
- Pour the remainder of your broth into the mixture along with your black pepper and thyme and allow to simmer over medium to low heat for around twenty minutes.
- Stir occasionally and allow your gravy to thicken up, once a smooth consistency is reached you may remove your mixture from the stove and set it aside.
- Your mushroom gravy is now ready to be served.
This recipe makes around 4 cups of gravy and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. It can also be frozen, to do this allow your mixture to cool and place it into a container of your choice, and set it into the freezer where it can be stored and reheated for up to 2 months. This recipe is perfect in stews as well as on top of lentils and mashed potatoes.
To make a gluten-free mushroom gravy recipe or any gravy recipe gluten-free simply switch the flour for a gluten-free alternative such as rice flour, almond flour, or oat flour and substitute the soy sauce for tamari.
As you can see making your very own gravy from scratch is fairly simple and easy to recreate at home. With these family favorite gravy recipes, you are sure to never disappoint over a family dinner again. Also bear in mind that vegan gravy granules can be bought from almost any supermarket and are a great alternative for those lazy days as they packed a ton of flavor in just one tablespoon. There are also many other gravy recipes to could add to your repertoire including onion gravy, tomato gravy, and cheese gravy.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?