VEGAN JELLO: IS JELLY VEGAN?
Jello is a delicious and refreshing fruity dessert that is often enjoyed with custard or simply by itself as an after-dinner palate cleanser. It is also a very fun and enjoyable dessert for kids and comes in a large variety of different flavors. Vegans can enjoy almost anything that no vegans can by substituting animal products with suitable plant-based alternatives. Jello is no exception, although vegans do not consumer gelatin which is what creates the bounce like the stable texture of jello, other replacements can be used in order to create a similar effect without changes the flavor substantially. Gelatin free jello can be made at home by following this simple and easy vegan jello recipe.
HOW TO MAKE JELLO WITHOUT GELATIN
The goal when creating non-gelatin jello is to find a plant-based gelatin substitute that creates the same jiggly, bouncy, sweet, and fruity taste and texture that we all associate with jello. Fortunately for all my jello loving vegans, this is one hundred percent possible and easily achievable by using one simple alternative ingredient. The secret ingredient to creating the perfect vegan jello recipe is something known as Agar Agar. Agar-Agar comes in two different forms – flakes and powder, either of these will do for this recipe but bear in mind that when using the flakes you need three times as much as the powder in order for it to set properly and efficiently without leaving a liquid and runny center. Agar-Agar can be purchased at almost any of your local health stores and is available at some grocery stores too, so it shouldn’t be much of an issue to the source. Once you’ve got this ingredient in your hands your set and ready to begin your vegan jello creations.
HOW TO MAKE JELLO WITH AGAR AGAR
Now that you’ve got your trusty agar agar at hand and ready the next step is to gather the other ingredients needed to create your perfectly delicious jello recipe. Jello can be made into a large multitude of different flavors and can be adapted extremely easily according to your preferences.
- 1 and ½ tsp of Agar Agar flakes or ¾ tsp of Agar Agar powder as per your choice
- 240 ml Red Grape Juice ( this can be replaced with any flavor of your choice ) * make sure its one hundred percent fruit juice for a strong flavor
- 240 ml of water
- ¼ cup white sugar ( stevia or xylitol can be used for a sugar-free and more healthy alternative )
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients that you need to create your perfect jello recipe, the next step is to follow these simple directions.
- Combine the agar agar flakes or powder together with your cup of water and mix well until perfectly dissolved.
- Next, add your fruit juice of choice together with your sugar and add it to a pan along with your agar agar and water mixture.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and keep stirring for approximately two minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour into serving containers of your choice, I find that cups or small steep bowls work best. ( you can also buy pre-made jello molds at any home goods stores )
- Place your mixture in the refrigerator and allow it to sit for a couple of hours until it is no longer in liquid form.
- Remove from the refrigerator, serve, and enjoy your delicious and fruity light, and refreshing dessert.
As you can see jello is a super simple and easy dessert to created and can be adapted and changed into almost any flavor of your choice, its also a fun activity for kids and a great way to create vibrant and colorful summer snacks. Jello can be used in a trifle alongside cake and custard or simply made into what’s known as a monkey’s wedding which is a layer of jello topped with a layer of custard. The bottom line is that even though gelatin is not vegan-friendly there is no reason why you cant enjoy the jiggly, bouncy start of plant-based jello.