Everything You Need To Know About How To Make the Most Delicious Vegan Mayo Recipe
Who doesn’t love mayonnaise, the perfect condiment to accompany almost every meal, from fries to salads, sandwiches, and wraps mayonnaise is a classic element that is loved by most people all over the world. For my fellow vegans who think their dreams of eating mayonnaise are over, you’ve just received the greatest news, making vegan mayo has never been easier with these delicious, simple, and easy recipes that are guaranteed to give you the creamy and tangy result your after. Not only is this DIY vegan mayo recipe extremely easy to recreate, but it also requires little to no prior kitchen experience, knowledge, or expertise. In this article I’m going to be showing you exactly how to make this easy vegan mayonnaise recipe, guiding you each step of the way until you achieve your thick, delicious, and creamy plant-based and all-purpose mayo.
What Is Vegan Mayo Made Of?
While traditional mayonnaise often includes animal products such as dairy and eggs which is what gives it the creamy thick and rich texture we’ve all come to know and love, vegan alternatives have to substitute and replace these products with plant-based alternatives that add a similar flavor and texture. Most commonly vegan mayo ingredients include :
- Plant-based milk – including soy, almond and coconut
- Aquafafaba -which is the water residue found in canned chickpeas
- Oil of some sort – either olive oil or avocado oil or both
- A paste or flavoring – for example, dijon mustard which adds a tangy flavor
- Some sort of sweetener -such as maple syrup or agave
These are a summary of the main type of ingredients you would expect to find in most homemade vegan mayo recipes, however, of course, each recipe is different and calls for different ingredients depending on the result one is trying to achieve.
How To Make Vegan Mayo
Now that you know a little more about what vegan may actually is and the expected ingredients you may find in the most common recipes, we can move onto the fun part, which is creating your very own dairy-free mayonnaise recipe from scratch. This recipe is super simple and easy and only requires 6 ingredients to make.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Servings: 1 and ½ cups
The first step of creating the easy vegan mayo recipe is to gather all the necessary ingredients you need to start assembling your ultra-creamy recipe. For this you’ll need :
- 1 cup avocado oil
- ½ soy milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
The next bit of this healthy vegan mayo recipe is to take all your ingredients, put them together and create a thick and creamy mixture that now becomes your mayonnaise replacement.
- Place all your ingredients into a medium-sized bowl.
- Get an electric hand blender or alternatively a whisk and blend all ingredients together until a thick consistency is reached and now lumps can be seen.
- Pour your mixture into a container of your choice and voilà you have vegan mayonnaise!
And just like that, within no time at all, you have yourself the perfect vegan mayonnaise that you can store in the fridge and pull out at any time of the day to add to any of your recipes. My favorite part about this mayonnaise is that it is incredibly smooth and so easy to spread on the inside of a sandwich, wrap, or burger, and it always kids friendly too.
Here are some tips and tricks to keep in mind when creating the best vegan mayo recipe:
- Use whatever oil you like – avocado oil gives the mayo a particular type of flavor this can easily be substituted by using other oils including, flax oil or coconut oil.
- Remember to use unsweetened non-dairy milk
- All ingredients must be at room temperature otherwise your mixture could separate
Vegan Susbtsitue for Mayonaise
While making your own plant-based mayonnaise is by far the most delicious, cost-effective, and simple for those on the lazier side, you could get your mayo fix to. Nowadays, many vegan brands have brought out their own vegetarian mayo recipe that is already made, boxed, and bottled ready for your consumption. Some of the best plant-based mayonnaise recipes you can get from your local supermarket include :
- Connie Kitchen – Vayo
- Hellman’s – Vegan Mayo
- Primal Kitchen – Avocado Mayo
- Sir Kensington’s – Classic Vegan Mayo
- JUST – Mayo
- Follow Your Heart – Original Mayonaise
- Plant Perfect – Vegan Mayo
- Chosen Foods – Classic Vegan Mayo
- Earth Balance – Mindful Mayo
These are the most popular store-bought mayos within the plant-based community and each provides a rich, thick and creamy mayonnaise substitute that is a perfect condiment for every household.
At the end of the day, the vegan mayonnaise recipe you chose is completely up to you and your preferences, however, don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty and pop into the kitchen to indulge in the mayo recipe of your dreams. Any type of adaptation can be made in order to best suit your mayo preferences. From this, you have learned how to thicken vegan mayo, how to create plant-based mayo from scratch, and what ingredients are used to replace the animal products found in traditional mayonnaise recipes. All I can say is go give it a try and see what you think for yourself.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?