How To Make a Plant-Based Meatloaf From Scratch: Vegan Meatloaf Recipes
Introducing new and exciting recipes into your everyday life makes the vegan lifestyle so much more fun and entertaining. It means that you stay interested in the huge amount of different vegan meal options you can have and never get bored by repeating the meals over and over again. When it comes to creating vegan alternatives of meat classics, everyone seems to get super excited about the possibility of making something appear and taste the same but in a completely plant-based manner. Having a delicious and easy vegan meatloaf recipe is essential for making hearty dinner classics. There are so many vegetarian meatloaf recipes out there and many possibilities and adaptations that will ensure you find the perfect one for you.
How To Make Vegan Meatloaf
Although making an excellent vegetarian meatloaf from scratch might seem like an impossible task, provided you have the right recipe and a little of patience, anyone can do it. Making a meatloaf vegetarian is all about getting creative and figuring out how to mimic a meaty texture and flavor using the abundance of plant-based ingredients we have available to us. To make this delicious and nutritious vegan meatless meatloaf, you’ll simply need to follow this secret recipe I am about to share with you.
The Best Vegan Meatloaf Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
The first step in getting any recipe right is to make sure you have all the necessary ingredients at hand and prepare them in the form they will be needed in the recipe. This will ensure that you can keep up with the tasks and never miss a step.
This chickpea vegan meatloaf splits into two parts, one for the meatloaf itself and a little extra for the saucy topping that really brings it all together.
For the meatloaf:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 2 small carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 ½ cups breadcrumbs of choice
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 ½ tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ ketchup
For the topping:
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh parsley
Once you have ensured that you have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go you can finally start the cooking process of your vegan meatloaf.
- The first step is to preheat your oven to 350F and line a 9-inch loaf tin with either baking paper or oil to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the tin.
- While your oven is heating up, you’ll need to sauté your onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in a pan with your olive oil on medium heat for approximately 5 minutes. Once everything is tender and your onions appear transparent, remove from the heat and set them aside for later use.
- In a large bowl, add all your chickpeas and begin to mash them up until they are broken down into smaller pieces (be careful not to over-mash).
- Add your sautéed veggies to the bowl with your mashed-up chickpeas and combine well. Next mix in your 1 ½ cups of bread crumbs, your nutritional yeast, soy sauce, ketchup, and ground flaxseed and stir well until everything is combined, if your mixture is too wet you can always add a little more breadcrumbs.
- Place your mixture into your lined loaf tin and press it ensuring its touches all the corners and sides of the tin. Cover the tin with foil and place it in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Whilst your meatloaf is cooking away, you’re going to get started on making the topping, for you’ll need a small bowl, in which you’ll add your ketchup and vegan Worcestershire sauce and stir together.
- Once 30 minutes have passed, remove your meatloaf from the oven, lift the foil and add your ketchup sauce topping, spreading it evenly on the top of the loaf. Place it back in the oven and allow baking for another 15 minutes uncovered.
- Once fully cooked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool thoroughly for approximately 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley on the top and slice to share and enjoy!
And just as simply and as easily as that, you have created the most delicious plant-based meatloaf that everyone can sit down and enjoy. This recipe is not only tasty but also time and cost-efficient, it’s a great weeknight staple and the perfect way to get the kids to eat their vegetables without even knowing.
Tips and Tricks
When making meatless meatloaf recipes there are a few special tips and tricks that can help ensure your process goes as smoothly as possible and that your end result is always satiating for everyone. Firstly, if you want to make a gluten-free vegan meatloaf, then all you’ll simply need to do is replace the bread crumbs with a gluten-free alternative. One of the best tricks for making a vegan meatloaf taste meaty is the addition of liquid smoke, although this is a rare ingredient it is available at many grocery stores and will really elevate your meatloaf dish, giving it its signature smokey flavor. You can also always play around with the spices you use on your raw vegan meatloaf to find what best works for you.
As you can see, making a hearty and delicious vegan meatloaf is not as hard as it may seem. And as we start approaching the colder months of the year, it’s a great idea to get started on your meatloaf cooking skills now.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?