How to Make This Fantastic Dairy-Free Vegan Mozzarella Recipe at Home
For all my plant-based veggies out there, it doesn’t go without saying that we all miss the delicate, soft, and gooey taste of cheese. Whilst there are many vegan cheese options readily available to us, it’s not always as easy to find the same sort of texture and flavor that the Italian specialty mozzarella has. Not only do we want a delicious tasting cheese but also one that melts, can be turned into grilled cheeses and pizzas. Lucky for you when there is a will there’s a way and this vegan mozzarella recipe is a game-changer. I’ll be showing you exactly how to make vegan mozzarella from your very own kitchen, with minimal time, effort, and equipment needed.
Vegan Mozzarella Ingredients
Before we can dive into the cooking process of your vegan mozzarella cheese, let’s take a closer look at what goes into making such a great replica of a dairy-based product. Like every recipe that has ever been made, there are many different variations and techniques used to create the same product, this is mostly down to personal preference and applies to this dairy-free mozzarella recipe too. However, the core ingredient of all or most vegan cheeses comes from nuts, yes nuts. Nuts are what actually give the cheese the creamy texture we all hope for, cashew nuts stand at the most popular, however almonds as well as soy products can be used too. Mozzarella cheese is a delicacy in Italian cuisine and it found as a prominent ingredient in all recipes from salads to pizzas, pasta, and sandwiches, now you can get to enjoy the same delicacy except completely plant-based and cruelty-free.
Best Vegan Mozzarella Recipe
Now comes the fun part, making the actual mozzarella cheese, followed by the best part … Eating it! This easy vegan mozzarella recipe is precisely made with the ability for the cheese to melt and stretch, which is one of the hardest things to achieve when creating vegan cheese.
The first thing you’ll need to do is gather all your necessary ingredients which include :
- ½ cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons tapioca starch
Once all ingredients are collect you can begin the assembling process by following these simple steps:
- The first and most important step of your cheese-making process is to soak the cashew nuts, you do this by boiling 2 cups of water and pouring it over your cashew nuts in a large bowl, and allow to sit for an hour.
- Drain cashew nuts and transfer them to a blender with your freshwater, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, and tapioca starch. Blend until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Pour mixture into a pan and bring to medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Your mixture will start to curdle but keep stirring consistently. After a couple of minutes, your cheese mixture will begin to become stretchy and thick and once achieved immediately remove from heat.
- Your cheese is now ready and can be used immediately or stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for later use.
And just like that, you have created the perfect vegan mozzarella cheese recipe that melts, this recipe is perfect for cheesy pasta, grilled cheese, lasagna, and of course pizza.
Vegan Substitute for Mozzarella Cheese
So you now have the perfect vegan cheese for pizza, pasta, and more, however, it’s not the only vegan mozzarella recipe that works. There are many different ways one can create a homemade vegan mozzarella cheese and here are a few examples you may want to use instead.
Almond Mozzarella Cheese Recipe
If cashews aren’t your thing, then almonds are most probably the next best option for you. Almond-based cheese is actually quite popular amongst pre-made vegan cheese brands and provides a more deep flavor profile than that of cashew nut cheeses. For this recipe, you’ll need to follow the same steps and also remember to soak your almonds in order to remove the harsh outside skin.
Add Nutritional Yeast
Adding nutritional yeast to your cheese mixture will cheese it an extra cheesy flavor ( closer resembling parmesan )
Add Olive Oil
Adding olive oil to your mixture will make it more creamy and richer in flavor.
And there you have it, the perfect and absolutely delicious vegan mozzarella cheese recipe that you can create at home and share with friends, family, and loved ones.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?