The Best Vegan Paella Recipe: Ingredients, Directions, Preparation Time
Creating interesting and exciting recipes from a number of cuisines from around the world is one of the most important elements of following a vegan diet and lifestyle. From Indian curries to Italian pasta and pizza, anything can be made vegan-friendly and plant-based with just a few simple adjustments.
Vegan Spanish paella, for example, is circulating the internet right now as people are dying over the flavors and punchy taste it has to offer. With most traditional recipes containing animal-based products, we’ve taken it into our own account to create the best and most authentic vegan paella recipe that you can recreate from your very own kitchen, when and where you wish.
How To Make Vegan Paella
Making meatless paella from scratch may seem like a seriously daunting and over-complicated task, but with this easy recipe, anyone can do it with no prior culinary skills required. The perfect paella is all about the flavor combinations, the cooking time on the rice and the variety of herbs and spices needed, with a little bit of patience and time will ensure to provide the perfect satisfying result.
The Best Vegan Paella Recipe
This easy vegetarian paella recipe is like yet hearty and packed full of authentic Spanish flavors.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min
The first step of creating the perfect vegan paella recipe is to gather and prepare all the necessary ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (strips)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 large tomato
- 1 ½ cups bomba rice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ¾ cups peas
Once you have successfully gathered all the ingredients you will need to create your easy vegan paella recipe, it is finally time to assemble the cooking process through these easy steps.
- In a medium saucepan, add your vegetable broth on medium-high heat. To this add your saffron and allow to simmer. Once it begins to bubble down the heat just enough to keep it warm.
- In another larger pan add 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Once heated add your onions and red peppers and allow to saute until slightly softened.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 extra minute.
- To this mixture add your tomato, thyme, smoked paprika, and sweet paprika and continue to saute for a further 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add the rice and the last remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and stir well until all is evenly coated.
- Give your paella some time to cook and absorb flavors by stirring every so often.
- After a couple of minutes add your vegetable broth to your rice mixture.
- Add your salt and heat and allow to simmer without stirring for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Once your mixture is simmering, turn down the heat until you reach a mild simmer. Allow your paella to simmer for 20 minutes until a soft texture is reached.
- Once you are happy to remove from the heat and instantly add your frozen peas to the top of the rice.
- Cover the pan with foil and allow your paella to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle it with salt and top with a lemon wedge, all ready for serving.
And just as simply and as easily as that you have created the perfect most authentic and delicious vegan paella recipe. This is the perfect recipe for a warming and hearty family dinner and definitely a guest impressor.
There are also so many varieties you can make using this standard base recipe. For example, for added protein, you could add tofu or tempeh as well as extra vegetables such as mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, and carrots.
As you can see, making your own authentic vegan paella recipe is definitely not as hard and as complicated as it seems. This recipe encompasses all the traditional flavors and textures of a traditional paella recipe but using only plant-based, vegan, and cruelty-free ingredients. It is a recipe that is loved by all and definitely a repeat staple in my home.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?