The classic combination of chips and dips is an all-around global movie time and snack time favorite. For vegans this is no exception, you must enjoy every element of the classic favorite with the same delicious flavor and texture. While we have the salsa and guacamole elements fully available at our fingertips vegan queso has not been given quite the same limelight and is lacking in many households. However, it is one of the most crucial elements of making sure you thoroughly enjoy your chip and dip experience. The creaminess and rich cheesy taste combined with the crunch of the nachos and the refreshing taste of light avocado and tomato salsa was born a match made in heaven and in this article I intend to show you how to ensure it stays that way for you too.
Vegan Cheese Dip
Vegan cheese dip or plant-based queso if you will is a smooth and creamy sauce that is usually made from using real cheese and melting it down until it reaches the perfect soft and dippable texture. Queso is a Mexican-inspired appetizer that is usually served alongside nachos and other dipping variations. Queso although true and authentic to Mexico can now be found at almost any Tex-Mex restaurant and even popular chain grocery stores as well as made its way into many households all around the world with a particularly strong influence on the United States. It’s a popular crowd-pleaser and is often served at big family gatherings and parties with the idea that everyone can share, allowing each to indulge in a little bit of everything.
Vegan Queso Recipe
Whilst queso is usually made by using cheese which is a dairy product that comes from animals there are also many different ways to make your very own dairy-free queso that is completely plant-based, cruelty free and equally as delicious. To make this dairy-free cheese sauce you’ll simply have to gather your ingredients and follow the simple directions below. In this vegan queso cashew nuts are the primary ingredient that allows you to achieve the same creamy consistency as that of a regular nacho cheese dip.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- For this super easy vegan nacho cheese simply grab yourself a blender which will be your main form of equipment for recreating this recipe.
- Add all of your ingredients to your blender except for the water which should be added in little bits at a time.
- Blend your ingredients together and add water when needed ( too much and your sauce will be too thin and too little and it will be thick and lumpy.)
- Yes in just those quick and simple steps your vegan nacho cheese sauce has been perfectly executed and is ready to eat.
- Your cheese sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to 7 days and can easily be reheated by using the microwave for a saucepan.
- If that wasn’t enough you can also make enough queso for the rest of the month and store it in the freezer to reheat when the cravings hit.
- To serve your cheese sauce you can place in a bowl as a dip with nachos, drizzled over nachos, inside your burrito, and inside your tacos too!
Yes, as simple and as easy as that you have just created your very own vegan nacho cheese sauce recipe, that I guarantee you will be putting on everything and soon spooning it out of the jar.
Vegan Queso Dip Recipe
A creamy vegan cheese sauce is so good that it would be a shame if not everyone could enjoy it and that is why for those who suffer from nut allergies or intolerances this is often hard to come by but I have just the cure for you. In this vegan cheese dip, nutritional yeast along with some other plant-based components come together to create the perfect vegan queso recipe even without the creamy element of the nuts, and this is how.
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- ½ cup diced carrot
- ¼ chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth ( 1 is for blending )
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- The first step is to prepare your ingredients, this means peeling and dicing your potatoes, finely cutting your carrots, and chopping your onions and garlic so that everything is ready to go.
- The next step is actually to cook some of your ingredients. Add your diced potato, sweet potato, carrots, onion, and garlic to a pot and 3 cups of vegetable broth and allow to cook until soft.
- Once your veggies are cooked remove them from the pot and save one cup of the water they were cooked in to use later.
- To your blender add your cooked vegetables, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, spices, and the cooking water you saved and mix until all is well combined and has reached a smooth consistency where no lumps or bumps are visible.
And just like that your homemade vegan queso has officially been created. This recipe may be a bit more time-consuming, however, it means that everyone and anyone can enjoy the delicious taste of creamy cheese sauce, and it’s also a great way to give the kids some vegetables without them ever knowing.
Top Vegan Queso Dips
So now that you have learned how to make your very own vegan queso what about those lazy days or the days when there just isn’t enough time but getting your cheese dip fix is essential? Don’t sweat it because the shelves are stocked and there are some flavor-bursting vegan queso dips ready to take home.
Goods foods have released their own version of the queso dip which contains simple whole ingredients with no added oils or sugars. It is oh so creamy and has a kick that leaves you needing more!
While Siete is known for its corn chips it has too created a cheese dipping component that has been flying off the shelves ever since its release. Their Cashew Queso comes in two different flavors, spicy blanco and mild nacho so everyone can get the best of both worlds.
Core & Rind
Core & Rind makes a banging cheese dip that is available in three different flavors – Bold&Spicy, Rich&Smoky as well as Tangy&Sharp. These jars fly off the shelves so it’s best to get your hands on the liquid gold of this cashew cheese sauce as soon as you possibly can if you truly wish to make all your cheesy dreams come true.
- Why did you like the article?!
- Ooh, you did not like it? But why?