Homemade Vegan Ramen: Cooking Traditional Japanese Vegan Meal at Home
white miso paste
1 ½ tbsp.
dried shiitake mushrooms
15 g / 0.033 lb
extra firm tofu
200 g / 0.441 lb
100 g / 0.22 lb
25 g / 0.055 lb
Ramen has become a worldwide favorite. A hearty and warming dish that encompasses both satiating broth and noodles, tied together with bold flavors and countless varieties. Traditionally, ramen is created using either meat, chicken, fish, or eggs and is not suitable for vegans who ethically choose to omit these animal products from their diet. However, this does not mean that you can’t enjoy a delicious bowl of warm ramen on a cold winter’s night. This easy Japanese vegan ramen recipe embodies all the traditional flavors and fresh ingredients to create a plant-based version of a very well-known and loved Japanese dish.
Can Vegans Eat Ramen?
When it comes to the craze and the countless images of delicious ramen circulating the internet and various social media platforms, vegans are left wondering whether they too can partake in the ramen goodness.
Ramen noodles themselves are made from wheat flour, oil, salt, and potato starch, making them 100 percent vegan and plant-based. So it is not because of the noodles themselves that make ramen non-vegan, but the additional toppings and flavoring used to create the broth. Flavorings containing fish oil or animal extracts are not considered to be vegan and are often found in many ramen recipes. However, nowadays, there is a multitude of delicious healthy vegan ramen that is just as delicious and cruelty-free too.
How To Make Vegan Ramen
Making homemade vegan ramen is actually not nearly as complicated as it may seem. In fact, it is actually one of the quickest and most simple recipes to recreate at home. It doesn’t require any fancy ingredients or prior culinary skills, and won’t take too much of your time either. To make this easy vegan ramen recipe, all you’ll need is the correct ingredients and a little time and patience.
The Best Vegan Ramen Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: Serves 2
The first step to creating the perfect best vegan ramen is to gather all the necessary ingredients and prepare them correctly. For this you’ll need:
- 2 cloves garlic
- A small piece of ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon white sesame paste or tahini
- 15g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1-liter vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 200g extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 100g ramen noodles
- 1 head pak choi
- 2 spring onions
- 25g bean sprouts
- 1 carrot peeled and cut
- Siracha, chopped coriander, crushed peanuts, and nori to serve
Once you have gathered and prepared all your ingredients, you can begin the assembling and cooking process by following the instructions below.
- Crush the garlic and place in a saucepan over medium heat. Add your ginger, miso, white sesame paste, shiitake mushrooms, vegetable stock, and soy sauce to the garlic and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, cover the pan and bubble for 5 minutes until the ginger is soft. After this, remove from heat, strain into a clean pan, and discard the rest.
- Now it’s time to begin cooking your tofu. To do this, first toss each cut piece into cornflour and heat your oil in a separate pan. Place your tossed tofu into the hot oil and fry on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Next, it’s time to cook your noodles. Place them in boiling water for 1 minute following the instructions on the package, remove and drain and set aside for later use.
- To your now clear broth mixture and your chopped pak choi and spring onions and gently reheat until the greens are soft and wilted.
- Next get two bowls of your choice, ready to dish up each element of your ramen creation. Into each bowl place half of the noodles, a ladle of broth and veg, and top with your crispy tofu, beansprouts, carrots, ginger, spring onions, sesame seeds, nori, sriracha, chopped coriander, and crushed peanuts as well as any other topping of your choice.
- Serve and enjoy!
And just like that, you have created your very own easy and quick vegan ramen recipe from scratch. One of the best things about ramen, in general, is that you can make it exactly how you would enjoy it. For a gluten-free option, replace the ramen noodles with rice noodles. Use any toppings of your choice and chili for added spice if you’d like. Extras such as kimchi, wasabi, pickled ginger, red bell peppers, and even broccoli are great additions to vegan ramen too.
As you can see, creating a vegan ramen broth recipe from your very own kitchen is not as hard as it may seem. Not only is this recipe incredibly delicious and simple to create but also adaptable and kid-friendly.
It can be enjoyed by nearly everyone no matter their dietary requirements and is quite impressive to serve to guests and family members on special occasions. So the next time you are craving something hearty and warming, why not whip out this tasty flavorful recipe and test it out for yourself.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?