What Is Vegan Salmon: What It’s Made From And How You Can Recreate It From Your Kitchen Too
When it comes to veganism, one of the most important elements of maintaining a fully plant-based and cruelty-free lifestyle is to get experimental in the kitchen. Find new and exciting ways to satisfy your cravings and fully replace the traditional animal products enjoyed around the globe. From meat to chicken, dairy and even eggs there have been some extremely innovative and creative minds that have created alternatives that are almost exactly like the real deal. However, when it comes to fish this becomes a little more tricky as the specific flavours and textures are harder to imitate. Luckily there are some great lox salmon recipes that are fully vegan and made entirely from plants.
What Is Vegan Salmon?
You may be thinking to yourself, how on earth can you possibly make salmon out of plants. Believe me, I thought that too, but the end result shocked me as it perfect;y captured both the texture and taste of any traditional lox salmon. A vegetarian salmon recipe is made from carrots, which is what gives it the orange colour we are used to seeing. This plant-based salmon is made by infusing a simple slice of carrot with all the flavour you would expect to find in any typical salmon recipe. Special ingredients are used to capture that fishiness as well as the softer consistency we all know and love.
The Perfect Vegan Smoked Salmon Recipe
Whether youre looking to use your salmon for brunch, placed on an English muffin with tofu scramble or simply in combination with a bagel and vegan cream cheese, faux sushi or even poke bowls your salmon opportunities are about to get a whole lot bigger.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time:40 mins
Servings: 4 people
The first step in creating the perfect carrot lox recipe is to gather and prepare all your ingredients. For this you’ll need:
- 3 carrots
- 2 nori sheets
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
Once you have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go you can move on to the assembling and cooking stage by following the instructions below:
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Wash your carrot, sprinkle them with some salt, place on a baking sheet and allow to cook in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Whilst they are baking, it’s time to make your marinade. For this, you will need to combine the nori, hot water, soy sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, paprika, garlic powder and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once the carrots are ready, remove them from the oven, slice into strips, transfer to a container of your choice and sprinkle them with salt.
- Add your marinade mixture to your carrots, seal and leave the fridge for 24 hours.
- Your vegan carrot lox is now ready t be served and enjoyed!
The Bottom Line
And just like that, you have the perfect delicious salmon vegan friendly and entirely plant-based. As you can see veganism is pretty amazing and by simply using the plants and vegetables given to us by nature we are able to perfectly replicate almost all traditional animal product cuisines. This delicious vegan smoked salmon recipe is the perfect trick to have up your sleeve and when it comes to elevating a breakfast, brunch and even lunch you’ve got it covered.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?