VEGAN SPANAKOPITA RECIPE
Spanakopita or vegan spinach pie is a traditional Greek dish that is made of spinach and feta cheese covered in a flakey phyllo pastry dough. However, a vegan spanakopita pie version of this tasty dish of course removes the element of cheese in the middle and creates a dairy-free alternative phyllo pastry recipe. It is a delish dish that is often eaten for a quick leftover lunch but is also a labor of love most families tend to make during the weekends or festive holidays. It is simple and easy to make and is a delicious idea that the whole family to enjoy.
BEST VEGAN GREEK SPANAKOPITA
In order to create a delicious and also authentic Greek spanakopita recipe, you’ll first need to gather all your essential ingredients for the phyllo, cheese filling, and spinach filling element.
- 350 grams spinach, washed and chopped
- Scallions, 7-8 pieces
- ¼ cup dill
- ¼ cup parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Olive oil sufficient for sauteing your ingredients
- Phyllo pastry sheets ( around 450 grams )
- ⅓ cup olive oil for brushing over your phyllo pastry
For your special “cheese” filling you’ll additionally need
- 1 cup raw cashews ( boiled for 25 minutes prior to use )
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Salt to taste
Now that you have gathered all your ingredients to start making your delicious spanakopita recipe all you’ll need to do is follow these simple instructions.
- Preheat your oven to 175C
- In a pan saute your scallions in olive oil until browned and soft
- Then add your spinach along with salt and pepper until it becomes wilted which often takes about five minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add your parsley and dill and transfer the mixture into a large bowl.
- In a food processor blend together with your cashews along with your white wine vinegar, water, and salt and pulse until a chunky yet finely chopped consistency is reached.
- Add your “cheese” mixture to your spinach mixture bowl and combine together well.
- Cut the phyllo dough long ways until it matches the length of your pan and brush the bottom of your pan with olive oil before laying your pastry down.
- Line your pan with half of your phyllo pastry and allow the other half to hang off the sides, then brush with olive oil until all is well covered, then fold the hanging pieces over and brush each side until all parts are well covered.
- Now spread your spinach and ‘cheese’ mixture on top of your pastry.
- Cover with your remaining half of phyllo dough and brush with olive oil again.
- Cut into squares, size of your choice, and place them in the oven to bake for around 65 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool before serving.
And just like that you have yourself a perfect and delicious vegan spanakopita recipe, there are also many variations of this recipe including a vegan gluten-free spanakopita, which uses gluten-free phyllo dough substitute as well as many version of the filling which often includes a delicious tofu and spinach recipe or spinach and vegan cheese substitutes, all of these recipes can be easily adapted to your preference without too much fuss at all, in this way you can simply create and find a version that is the perfect addition to you and your families household traditions and even maybe fully encompass some greek traditions to spice up these insanely world times.