Vegan Sponge Cake Recipe
Who doesn’t like a simple and easy to follow a recipe that produces the same brilliant result each time? Everyone has their go-to sponge cake recipe that often runs in the family, its a great base and can be recreated and built on in endless different ways. The inclusion of dairy and eggs often means that most basic sponge cake recipes are not suitable for vegans however this doesn’t mean that there’s not a dairy-free sponge cake recipe out there for you, in fact, there are multiple, producing the same great taste but using fully plant-based ingredients.
Easy Vegan Sponge Cake Recipe
In order to create your sponge cake without eggs or dairy, all you have to do is simply follow this easy and uncomplicated recipe. The first step to producing the most delicious tasting sponge cake is to gather your ingredients.
- 1 and ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup any plant-based milk of your choice (soy, almond, oat, cashew)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 80 ml of extra virgin olive oil (ensures your cake is moist and soft in texture)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (white vinegar can also be used as a substitute)
Now that you have gathered all your ingredients tother the next step in creating your simple vegan sponge cake is to follow these directions.
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Get a large mixing bowl and begin by sifting your flour into the bowl.
- Next add your sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix together well.
- Add your plant-based milk of choice together with your vanilla extract, extra virgin olive oil, and vinegar in your bowl and whisk at a fast pace until all is well combined and a smooth consistency is reached.
- Grab your desired baking tray or mold and line with either parchment paper or grease with coconut oil and then evenly pour your mixture into your tray.
- Place in the oven and back for 30 minutes.
- Remove and make sure it is fully cooked by inserting a toothpick into the center, if it comes back completely clean your cake is ready, and if a raw batter can be seen pop outback into the oven for another 10 minutes to finish baking fully.
- Once fully cooked place it on a cooling rack and allow it to fully cool before serving.
As you can see this is an extremely easy and simple vegan sponge cake recipe that almost anyone can recreate at home, it is also a recipe that can be easily adapted and changed according to your preference, for example, a gluten-free version can be created, the addition of icing and fruits can be added, or you could even change the flavor completely and make yourself a chocolate sponge cake too!
Sponge Cake Variations
Some ways to spice up your simple sponge cake recipe include
- Add 4 tbsp. of cocoa powder to create a chocolate-flavored cake.
- The addition of layered vanilla icing along with some fresh fruit such as strawberries will elevate your basic sponge cake into what is commonly known as a victoria sponge cake, greatly popular all around Britain.
- Using oat or almond flour can allow your cake to be gluten-free and thus can be enjoyed by all.
- A healthier sugar-free version can be created by replacing the sugar with either xylitol, stevia, or any other solid sweetener of your choice.
- This came recipe can be turned into cupcakes or muffins by simply changing your baking mold to fit appropriately.
There are so many different ways one can create a vegan sponge cake that is equally as tasty and delicious as any regular alternative, ts also extremely kid-friendly and with the right decoration works as a birthday cake too!
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?