The Best Vegan Turkey Recipe That You Can Make From Your Very Own Kitchen
vegan chicken powder
1 ½ tsp.
extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ tsp.
vital wheat gluten
1 ½ cup
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and no one wants to miss out on the feast of the year. Lucky for us vegans, no one has to. The truth is veganism grows marginally larger each and every year and as the demand for new and exciting plant-based products increases so does the outcome. Now we have countless vegan turkey alternatives that are just as delicious, cruelty-free and 100 percent plant-based. Making your very own homemade vegan turkey is actually not as hard as it may seem. All you need is a great recipe and a lot of time and patience, and you may just be able to convince the rest of your family to enjoy it too.
What Is Vegan Turkey Made of?
There are many different versions and varieties of plant-based turkey. These alternatives are designed to have the appearance, flavors and textures that turkey traditionally has. Most brands who have designed their own unique roasts for thanksgiving specifically will use plant-based meat substitutes such as seitan and tofu. Typically, they will use this mock meat made from vital wheat gluten and garbanzo beans and marinade it in a turkey flavored broth which is what gives it its authentic taste and texture. Many vegan turkey recipe seitan is included as it is easy to cook with and has the ability to absorb almost any flavor that is given to it.
How To Make Vegan Turkey
If you are looking to create your own vegan thanksgiving turkey recipe from scratch, then we have the perfect option for you. This recipe encompasses all the things we love about a thanksgiving turkey and is sure to create a result that may even convince non-vegans it’s real.
The Best Vegan Turkey Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hr 24 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
The first order of business when it comes to creating the perfect meatless turkey is to gather and prepare all necessary ingredients to ensure you have each component to create the perfect result.
- 10 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons vegan chicken powder (stock)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon liquid smoke ( optional )
- ¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth
Once you have gathered all your ingredients, you are ready to move onto the creation and cooking stage of your fake thanksgiving turkey recipe. For this, you’ll simply need to follow the step-by-step instructions listed below.
- The first step is to crumble your tofu into a food processor and add all remaining ingredients apart from the vital wheat gluten and coconut oil. Process the tofu together with the other ingredients until a smooth consistency is formed. Once you are happy with the texture and there are no lumps and bumps to be seen, add your vital wheat gluten and process once again for 1 minute.
- Remove the now dough-formed mixture from your food processor and place it on a work surface of your choice. Shape the dough into a rectangle and cut it in half. Cut one of these halves in half again and set one of the smaller pieces aside for later use. Place the remainder of the dough back into the food processor and blend for another minute. Transfer it back to your work surface and knead by hand until it feels firm. Set aside to rest.
- Place the small piece of dough that you cut earlier in the food processor along with an additional 1 tablespoon of vital wheat gluten and process until a smooth and shiny appearance is reached.
- Shape the larger piece of dough into a log and begin to twist it from top to bottom. Cross one side over the other so that it looks like a ribbon, and then connect each end to the opposite side, so a twisted ball is formed.
- Take the smaller shiny piece of dough and stretch it into a rectangular shape, make sure it is thin and larger in width than the bigger piece of dough. Lay it flat of the surface and place your twisted dough ball in the center. Fold the edgings of the shiny dough inwards until it has completely wrapped the ball inside.
- Rub the outer layer with coconut oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap the dough with parchment paper coated with olive oil and place it into an oven of 350 degrees. You can now add your broth to the bottom of the baking dish if you would like to create a gravy. Bake for 1 hour and then remove parchment paper, flip and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- Remove and allow the roast to cool for 15 minutes, serve and enjoy!
And just like that, you have created the perfect vegan turkey for your Thanksgiving meal. You can use this same recipe to create a gluten-free vegetarian turkey by removing the starch and vital wheat gluten and subsisting it with other ingredients.
You have now created the best vegan turkey substitute, without any culinary skills or fancy equipment.
Nowadays, it is so easy to enjoy traditional meals and foods without sacrificing our ethics and morals by making plant-based and cruelty-free alternatives. So when Thanksgiving rolls around, why not give this recipe a try and see if you can impress the rest of the family too.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?