Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie
25 mL / 0.84535 Oz
75 g / 0.165 lb
400 g / 0.882 lb
- paprika powder
185 mL / 6.25559 Oz
400 g / 0.882 lb
Veggie Shepherd’s Pie
Shepard’s pie is a staple meal in almost all English households, it is typically enjoyed by combing beef mince with sauce and veg and layered with a top of mashed potatoes that are then lightly browned in the oven. But what about the vegans and vegetarians? Well they in fact do not need to feel left out at all, there are a mountain of vegetable shepherd’s pie recipes for vegetarians as well as fully vegan and plant-based ones too. Here is a great veggie shepherds pie recipe that may just sneak its way into your household’s weekly dinners.
Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
One of the top vegan recipes is that of a lentil shepherd’s pie. The addition of lentils and its replacement of the beef will allow your pie to have the same meaty consistency, texture, and taste but in a completely plant-based manner.
For your veggie shepherd’s pie, you will need to create two elements, the lentils mixture, and the potatoes topping.
- 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 spring onions
- 25ml milk
- 75g cheddar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 400g canned tomatoes
- Smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 185ml vegetable stock
- Fresh rosemary
- 400g lentils
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 200C
- Boil potatoes for 20 minutes until cooked
- Add peas and drain
- For the lentil mixture heat some oil in a pan, fry the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until softened
- Add the remainder of your lentil mixture except for the lentils to the pan and allow to cook until all is softened, then add your lentils and combine
- For the potatoes melt your butter in a pot and fry the spring onions and then add your milk until fully heated through
- Add your potatoes and peas and mash well and combine with the heated milk until a smooth consistency is reached
- Spoon your lentil mixture into your pan, tp with potatoes mixture and add your cheddar cheese and pinch of paprika
- Place into the oven and allow to cook for around 30 minutes
And just as simply and easily as that you have yourself a delicious and nutritious shepherd’s pie. There are many great vegan shepherds pie recipes out there including Jamie Oliver vegetable cottage pie and others that use ingredients such as vegan mincemeat and mushrooms. Why not test them all until you find the perfect vegetable shepherd’s pie for you!
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?