The Best Vegan Challah Recipe : How To Make It Fully Plant Based From Your Very Own Kitchen
Challah bread is a specially baked, plated bread that is eaten in the Jewish religion on Friday nights. Challah bread is known for its sweet yet salty taste and naturally rich buttery flavour. It is loved and enjoyed by many people from all over the world and is used to make anything from sandwiches to french toast. The intricately designed bread is featured in many bakeries and comes in different varieties including sesame seed, poppy seed and plain. Many challahs are unfortunately not vegan friendly as animal products such as dairy ad eggs are used in the making. Luckily there are many delicious vegan challah recipe ideas that you can recreate from your very own kitchen using only plant-based and cruelty-free ingredients.
What Is Challah Bread?
Challah bread is a yeast bread that extends from a Jewish origin. It is a rich bread source, that is typically enjoyed on ceremonial occasions such as Shabbat or major Jewish holidays. A great challah recipe will typically be enriched with eggs and take many hours to complete from scratch. The bread is intricately braided and intertwined with one another, giving its unique appearance. In some ways, the taste of challah bread is similar to that of brioche, except there is no added butter or oils required for this to occur. It is one of the most loved and enjoyed freshly baked bread in the world and sells out of most bakeries at a rapid rate.
The Best Challah Recipe
As most store-bought challah breads contain animal products I am going to be showing you exactly how to create an egg-free challah bread from scratch. This quick vegan challah recipe doesn’t require any complicated ingredients or equipment and all you’ll need is some time and patience in order to create the most delicious result.
Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 2 loaves
The first step of creating the perfect vegan challah bread is to gather and prepare all your necessary ingredients which include :
- 1 ¾ cups warm water
- 1 ½ tablespoon active dry yeast
- ¾ cups white sugar
- ½ vegan butter
- 20 tablespoons aquafaba
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Sesame seeds ( optional )
Once you have gathered all the ingredients you need to create your easy vegan challah recipe you can now move on to the assembling and cooking stages by following the instructions below.
- The first step is to combine your warm water with your yeast and one tablespoon of white sugar in a bowl. Allow this to sit for approximately 10 minutes or until you see that the yeast is bubbling and frothing.
- To this mixture, whisk in your vegan butter and 10 tablespoons of aquafaba. As you do this you will see the mixture begin to expand.
- To this whisk in your remaining sugar and 1 tablespoon of salt.
- To this now well-combined mixture begin to add in your flour. Do this by adding only one cup at a time, mixing thoroughly in between each addition until dough is well-formed.
- On a floured working surface begin to knead your dough mixture, until it is smooth and pliable.
The Bottom Line
As you can see making vegan challah bread from scratch is actually not as complicated as it may appear. Knowing this recipe you now never have to miss out on the one of a kind taste that challah bread has to offer. If you still find yourself asking “what to do with challah bread the next day?” Well, the options are nearly endless, challah is the best for toast in the mornings, sandwiches in the afternoons and the perfect soup accompaniment in the evenings. So not to worry you’ll never be left wasting a slice.
- It is such a pleasure to see you like our article, share your thoughts!
- You didn't like it, hm? What did we do wrong?